Is The Fx5 Worth The Money...?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

mattlee

get on a board and do yo thang...!
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
im getting a 6x2x2 in the near future and am searching for a suitable external or 2, the FX5 is now £150 and as long as it filters what it states is the best in the price range that ive found. the new tank is roughly 180G so i will need another external along side it as well but was just wanting feedback with those already using the FX5.
other externals i have spare to run along side it are an aquaone aquis 1000, an aquaone advanced 1050 or an aquaone advanced 750 i know these arent ideal but i have them spare doing nothing at the minute so would probably run the 1050 with the FX5 or whatever i decide on.
if the FX5 is all it says it is then in time i may get 2 which would seem suitable for the tank.

other recomendations for similar priced lph externals welcomed....

i would also like to say that in the past i have only used 1 fluval/hagen external the 305 and didnt get along too well with it! but the FX5 is supposed to be a completely different kettle of fish..... isnt it?

i have a 55G and run an Eheim classic 2215 and a rena XP3 and am happy with both except the classic seems to get alot of trapped air inside for some reason.....

thanks, Matt

Hi I have an FX5 at the moment on my 65g and it is just amazing I had a Rena XP3 before and the FX5 is just as easy to use and clean. I plan on a similar tank than yours pretty soon as well, tempted to go a bit bigger but we will see and I plan to run 2 FX5s on that.

*edit just to add, the FX5 is totally different to the others. Basically its like a the XP3 with three layers of baskets and then each basket has a ring of sponge around it so you can fill the center with as much bio stuff as you want/need which is fantastic IMO :)

does anyone else have any views on this filter or others similar....?
Simple answer to yuor question Matt
OH YES
IMO FX5 superb filter easy to maintain and superb capabilities - in a 6ft tank 2 would be awesome
Only thing I could possibly complain about is the cannister clamps that seem to have a habit of one of them falling off when loosened :lol:

If you're looking to add a canister to that tank, the FX5 is absolutely the way to go. I have had nothing but good experiences. With them.
Though I would be compelled to go with a sump on a tank that size.

im getting a 6x2x2 in the near future and am searching for a suitable external or 2, the FX5 is now £150 and as long as it filters what it states is the best in the price range that ive found. the new tank is roughly 180G so i will need another external along side it as well but was just wanting feedback with those already using the FX5.
other externals i have spare to run along side it are an aquaone aquis 1000, an aquaone advanced 1050 or an aquaone advanced 750 i know these arent ideal but i have them spare doing nothing at the minute so would probably run the 1050 with the FX5 or whatever i decide on.
if the FX5 is all it says it is then in time i may get 2 which would seem suitable for the tank.

other recomendations for similar priced lph externals welcomed....

i would also like to say that in the past i have only used 1 fluval/hagen external the 305 and didnt get along too well with it! but the FX5 is supposed to be a completely different kettle of fish..... isnt it?

i have a 55G and run an Eheim classic 2215 and a rena XP3 and am happy with both except the classic seems to get alot of trapped air inside for some reason.....

thanks, Matt

the Fx5 pumps, around 1800-1900lph (true flow.) so i would say 2 would do fine.

If you're looking to add a canister to that tank, the FX5 is absolutely the way to go. I have had nothing but good experiences. With them.
Though I would be compelled to go with a sump on a tank that size.
this has crossed my mind but dont know anything about sumps really....!

i have an fx5, no doubt it does a great job. my only complaint about the fx5 is the running noise. (my tanks are in my bedroom) and the leaking problem i currently have from the purge valve.

anyone after a geophagus brasillensis?

i have an fx5, no doubt it does a great job. my only complaint about the fx5 is the running noise. (my tanks are in my bedroom) and the leaking problem i currently have from the purge valve.

anyone after a geophagus brasillensis?
how long have you had it Liam?

well i have had mine, around 6 months but then again i did buy it off ebay and i forgot to ask how old it is.

ive ordered one today from seapets as this was the cheapest i could find at £149.99.

one thing that i dont understand is why do fluval always use ribbed pipework? surely it gives more places for crap to get stuck and doesnt allow the water to flow as well as it could...... i know its easier to bend the pipework over the top of the tank if its ribbed but other companies seem to have mastered smooth pipes and fittings! :unsure:

well i have had mine, around 6 months but then again i did buy it off ebay and i forgot to ask how old it is.
ok, cheers mate :good:

when you say its noisey is it bad?

after a quick pushing around i seem to have reduced the humming quite significantly. this issue is the piping, make sure when you set it up that none of the piping is pushed against anything as this caused mine to hum like a humming bird.

after a quick pushing around i seem to have reduced the humming quite significantly. this issue is the piping, make sure when you set it up that none of the piping is pushed against anything as this caused mine to hum like a humming bird.
ok mate ill bare that in mind when installing it :good:

how do you get on with the inlet jets instead of the spraybar?

ok mate ill bare that in mind when installing it :good:

how do you get on with the inlet jets instead of the spraybar?

Personally, I prefer to hardline my FX5's using pvc. And making a reduced ID spraybar to help circulate water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back