Is the big fish just fat or is it poorly?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

snailaquarium

Fish Herder
Reaction score
_20191215_124820.JPG

I think it has a problem. That is not just fat. It could be egg bound. This occurs when the ovaries are under developed and eggs can’t pass through. You can try this... Raise the temperature to 25 degrees Celsius for a week. Koi usually spawn when the water temperature increases to 20 degrees Celsius in late summer. Raising temperature will help in preparing her ovaries and you will be able to gently squeeze her sides to release the eggs. You should squeeze very gently to avoid injuring the koi. Be very careful.

Last edited:
They aren’t pine coning are they? Could it be dropsy? I wouldn’t expect to see 2 egg laden at the same time. Do you feed them pond food? If so, fast them all for a few days.

Last edited:
Yes they get fed but come to think of it that's been far too a couple of months perhaps, mind you my memery sketchy and the pond was packed with algea two months ago

Hi,

I have just read an article saying that ghost shrimp can live in a pond and can eat the algea, would the fish in this picture likely eat them though? Dad feeds the fish so I don't think they run out of food.

Mind you I don't know if they meant uk ponds given our lower temperature??

Hi,

I have just read an article saying that ghost shrimp can live in a pond and can eat the algea, would the fish in this picture likely eat them though? Dad feeds the fish so I don't think they run out of food.

Any takers on this? Can they live in uk outdoor ponds? I read they can live at 10 degrees but i think the water is cooler than this.

I stop feeding my fish when the temperature is below 10 and they only get fed 6 months of the year. Koi will eat anything that fits in their mouth.

shame crawfish eat healthy plants too because they'd be alright to eat the algae, at the moment the pond is semi-clear, its kinda a mess because the filter isnt witched on 24/7 plus it sits under a tree. would a crawfish prefer dead food to live plants like snails do?

mind you i just rememeber we have frogs or toads in there mating, i was able to film then using an underwater camera, the crawfish would eat them wouldn't they? come to think of it so would the fish? its funny sometmies we find frog spwan in the pool and have to get it out.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back