Is that you John Wayne ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Back in the fold

That One Guy
Reaction score
Whilst I am perusing these great TFF Forums, I sit here watching "The Shootist". John Wayne's last movie. The writers were great here. The Duke got a lot of great lines to deliver in that inimitable John Wayne style. We have Jimmy Stewart, Richard Boone and a great number of other old time western movie actors. Nobody can nail down the greatest John Wayne movie of all time but I think it just may be "The War Wagon" or " The Sons of Katie Elder". Any other John Wayne fans here? If not then keep your comments to yourself pilgrim.

John Wayne was great in Western movies. I also enjoy watching old Western tv shows via an antenna on my tv. Wagon Train and Bonanza are all very entertaining. I have several larger lcd tvs in the house but enjoy watching old westerns on my 1988 19 inch cathode ray tube tv for nostalgic reasons.

I record Bonanza and watch it late at night. I have gotten in to Father Knows Best and Hazel in the morning. I was too young to remember Father knows Best so every show is “new” to me. I remember my family watching it but I guess I was too young to be into it. Ben, Adam, Hoss, and Little Joe were on Sunday nights. My whole family watched it together. The good old days.

off topic but I digress

As for other “old” tv shows, I watch Andy Griffith, Three Stooges, Phil Silvers aka Sargeant Bilko, All in the Family and Seinfeld. When I can find it, I also watch The Addams Family.

and now back to our regularly scheduled program... John Wayne... so what memorable scenes with John Wayne do you remember?

Last edited:
A little bit of historical information I learned recently while watching a series called "The American West". As a very young man just starting out in Hollywood , Marion Morrison, who would change his name to John Wayne met the real Wyatt Earp who was a consultant to western movie producers in the 1920's. This meeting and subsequent conversations with Earp gave John Wayne the ideas to mold his movie persona. That's a fantastic connection between the real old west and the mythic old west of movies and TV.

Do you know why John Wayne got called the name “Duke”?

From Wikipedia:

“A local fireman at the station on his route to school in Glendale started calling him "Little Duke" because he never went anywhere without his huge Airedale Terrier, Duke. He preferred "Duke" to "Marion", and the nickname stuck."

Last edited:
I just replied to the TV poll. And along with all other general chat in this category I watched 1942's "Flying Tigers" with John Wayne on Amazon Prime. Now I'm pumped to build up my 1/48 scale P-40 Warhawk. Lots of good close ups of that plane to aid in detail work.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back