Is She Pregnant?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

cdbaby123

Reaction score
So I purchased these two Panda Platy's last Sunday and put them in my cycled tank (over a year), yes I know their gills are red even with water changes every day I am battling .25 ammonia....
Any way; before I set up a new tank for her is the one to the bottom right pregnant? She has gotten larger since I brought her home and it looks like she has something in there.....
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• platy prego.jpg
    platy prego.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 84
So I purchased these two Panda Platy's last Sunday and put them in my cycled tank (over a year), yes I know their gills are red even with water changes every day I am battling .25 ammonia....
Any way; before I set up a new tank for her is the one to the bottom right pregnant? She has gotten larger since I brought her home and it looks like she has something in there.....
Any help is greatly appreciated.
The bottom one seems pregnant...

They’re both gravid (the fish equivalent of pregnant). The common livebearers can store sperm for at least half a dozen batches of fry (at monthly intervals) so as soon as they drop em they’re gravid again.
Bottom right is further along, maybe a week to go... Do you have plant thickets for her to hide in?

They have translucent gill covers (bred that way) so you can see the gills through them. Gills are supposed to be bright red. :)

The common livebearers can store sperm for at least half a dozen batches of fry (at monthly intervals) so as soon as they drop em they’re gravid again.
Well, they don't have to be gravid again after just dropping a batch. But they 'can be"...

They’re both gravid (the fish equivalent of pregnant). The common livebearers can store sperm for at least half a dozen batches of fry (at monthly intervals) so as soon as they drop em they’re gravid again.
Bottom right is further along, maybe a week to go... Do you have plant thickets for her to hide in?

They have translucent gill covers (bred that way) so you can see the gills through them. Gills are supposed to be bright red. :)
Wait, What? They are both Pregnant?????
Obviously then one is much further along then the other.....
I only have one extra tank...
Any idea when the more gravid one will birth? I am so new to this.....

It’s difficult to gauge scale however they don’t look fully grown (just because of the transparency of their colour). How long have you had them? Did you buy them as adults or as juveniles/babies? Might just be greedy little piggies that have fattened themselves up

It’s difficult to gauge scale however they don’t look fully grown (just because of the transparency of their colour). How long have you had them? Did you buy them as adults or as juveniles/babies? Might just be greedy little piggies that have fattened themselves up
I got them last Sunday from my local Petco, so about 9 days....

Hard to tell with only a picture ...
Perhaps you could tell in your tank whats the behaviour ... are they stays only in one place most of the time ...
Not actively swimming or being extra cautious out of a sudden.

Wait, What? They are both Pregnant?????
Obviously then one is much further along then the other.....
I only have one extra tank...
Any idea when the more gravid one will birth? I am so new to this.....
The top one doesn't look pregnant at all. Just a ferm bodyshape. Like I've mentioned before, the bottom one is pregnant. You can see, the eyes of the embryos shining through.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back