Is She Pregnant?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AmtotheBurr

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Is it possible to get a pregnant female betta from a pet store? If so, does she look pregnant? She's getting more and more rotund and the others bought at the same time are not.

Hi AmtotheBurr,

I can only comment on a recent experience when I bought a female Betta for my daughter. In the shop I had a choice of 2 female fish and the owner pointed out to me that one was loaded with eggs and ready to breed, this was the very reason we were buying the female as we have a male already who is making nests every 2 or 3 weeks. We choose the other fish becasue she was the correct colour strain for our male, but, yes it is possible she is laden with eggs and ready to breed.

Richard.

That's a lovely female crowntail you have there 
smile.png
she does look very bloated and could either be loaded with eggs or a piggy with food, I would definitely starve her for a couple of days either way as it won't harm her just incase she has just eaten too much, just capture her in a floating container or net whilst you feed the others sometimes feeding a little deshelled pea helps too.

She looks to be really eggy.  CT females are bad to get this way very easily and it can lead to being egg bound if not too careful.  I recommend fasting for a couple days to see if she absorbs some of them.  

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back