Is seiryu stone safe for my aquarium?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Quin

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I brought some seiryu stone home and looked into some of its properties. A lot of the sites I've seen confirmed that it raises both the pH and the kh of the water, but no one seems to be certain to what extent or whether or not it can be mitigated. My pH is between 7.8 and 8.4, which I believe is already on the higher end of a bettas tolerance, but some say that once a pH of 7/8 is achieved it will stop releasing whatever it is that affects it. My kh is also at 240+ (my strips don't go that high) but I'm not sure what effect that has on a fish's health?

Basically I'm not certain whether this stone is safe for my aquarium, or if I need to treat it at all. Since its so popular I assume it's not instant death, but I'd like to be sure. I'm aquascaping a 10 gallon with a single betta

Idk about seiyuu stone, but you can try other Stone If you wanted. Some stone doesn't effect your PH at all. 8 PH is really High for betta fish you can try to use Driftwood / Indian Almond leaf to balance it out if you want to scape using seiryu stone.

Idk about seiyuu stone, but you can try other Stone If you wanted. Some stone doesn't effect your PH at all. 8 PH is really High for betta fish you can try to use Driftwood / Indian Almond leaf to balance it out if you want to scape using seiryu stone.
I got it all figured out, thank you! And as for the pH I've got some wood for tannins and I'll be bringing home some almond leaves some time to boost it

What's the secret? I'd also heard that seiryu stone raises pH (which, like you, I could do without - esp as pH is a logarithmic scale), but hadn't heard about the leveling off effect. It'd otherwise be my first choice for a scape I'm planning, but am now thinking about wood stone instead, which is more inert. (I'm not planning to use driftwood or almond leaves in this tank, unlike my others, but I'd guess - unless used in very large quantities - their effect may be relatively negligible in the long run...?).

What's the secret? I'd also heard that seiryu stone raises pH (which, like you, I could do without - esp as pH is a logarithmic scale), but hadn't heard about the leveling off effect. It'd otherwise be my first choice for a scape I'm planning, but am now thinking about wood stone instead, which is more inert. (I'm not planning to use driftwood or almond leaves in this tank, unlike my others, but I'd guess - unless used in very large quantities - their effect may be relatively negligible in the long run...?).
Dont know for sure. But seiryuu stone's are sold in Big Piece's and their effect can't be negligible (Even if its relatively small piece) This is because the concentration on PH is really strong. And yet seiryuu stone's also affect your GH so you might have some problem if your fishes are soft water fish.
You can try to balance it out with acid buffer.
(Driftwood, Indian Almond Leaves, Alder Cones, or better still, an acidic substrate like peat moss or ADA Aquasoil)

Thanks Kevin. Just to clarify - my understanding was that seiryu stone (particularly as I'd be looking at maybe 15-25kg in a 125 litre tank) could have quite a big impact; my negligible comment was intended to be about adding an almond leaf or small piece of drift wood (which is all I'd be considering), and I'd prefer to be in a long term running battle trying to balance out water parameters. Sounds like wood stone it is, though open to other suitable inert alternatives so seiryu.

You can try Ohko stone (Dragon Stone's).
Doesn't affect your Chemistry and looks like Seiryuu stone imo, a little bit spikey tho :fish:

Thanks! Will look into it. I'm considering kuhli loaches, so spikey might not be so good for them if they rub against it...

Sorry for the super late reply! Basically my water has a strong buffer solution, so my pH stays firmly in place without a lot of additions. My tank has been black with tannins and it still didn't touch it. That's just my personal water though, yours is probably much different. Depending on your scape I think river stones might be nice and smooth for your loaches. You just might need to find some bigger ones

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back