Is peat moss my solution?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
@Colin_T are we really suggesting that ph 7.8 - 8 is appropriate for apistogramma?

If you want to keep a species only tank for breeding you need soft acidic water, mine used to be 5.5ph and about 2dgh but the softer the better. Loads of hiding spots and tall wood to break line of sight. Tannin stained helps. Get some surface plants too. You want it warm 27 degrees and a sponge filter bubbling away slowly. IMO 40l minimum for a pair, they need space and lots of hiding spots as females get very aggressive.
Apistogramma can live in that ph. They may not breed tho. Thatā€™s what this whole thread is about. Iā€™m trying to lower my hardness and Iā€™m asking for advice

Thatā€™s what this whole thread is about. Iā€™m trying to lower my hardness and Iā€™m asking for advice
In answer to your question peat moss will not lower your hardness. It may lower your pH as @Byron explained, but most likely it will not. This depends on your KH.

OK. Tannins is just tinting the water a yellowish/brownish hue, and they provide good bacterial properties. The GH/KH will be unchanged, the pH might lower depending upon the GH/KH.

The GH is the more significant parameter for fish, because it directly impacts them. The pH is important but not as critical provided it is not extreme. Apistogramma are soft to very soft water fish, and such water will naturally be on the acidic side in pH.

OK. Tannins is just tinting the water a yellowish/brownish hue, and they provide good bacterial properties. The GH/KH will be unchanged, the pH might lower depending upon the GH/KH.

The GH is the more significant parameter for fish, because it directly impacts them. The pH is important but not as critical provided it is not extreme. Apistogramma are soft to very soft water fish, and such water will naturally be on the acidic side in pH.
Yes and they love tannins to breed

If you are set on breeding then go for RO water, you wonā€™t need to water change much with a big tank and just one pair.

You will need a separate grow out tank though.

If you are set on breeding then go for the RO, you wonā€™t need to water change much with a big tank and just one pair.

You will need a separate grow out tank though.
I canā€™t do ro. My female is completely fine. He was fine up until yesterday. I think he had a disease before I got him. He was pineconing when he died

@Colin_T are we really suggesting that ph 7.8 - 8 is appropriate for apistogramma?
For captive bred fish, yes a pH of 7.8 is fine. For wild caught fish, no they need a lower pH. But stuff like Apistogramma cacatuoides have been captive bred all around the world for over 30 years and they are fine in water with a pH above 7.0.

I bred all my fish in water with a pH above 7.8.

For captive bred fish, yes a pH of 7.8 is fine. For wild caught fish, no they need a lower pH. But stuff like Apistogramma cacatuoides have been captive bred all around the world for over 30 years and they are fine in water with a pH above 7.0.

I bred all my fish in water with a pH above 7.8.
Yep it was captive bred. I think you told me you kept them in similar water to me so thatā€™s why I bought him. Do you think he had a disease then?

Yep it was captive bred. I think you told me you kept them in similar water to me so thatā€™s why I bought him. Do you think he had a disease then?
If he swelled up and died then yes

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back