Is my tank still cycled?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

msbonimc

Reaction score
Hello-- New to the hobby. Thanks for the help.

I have a 20L heated/filtered/planted tank. I have a nerite living in there, alone since my betta died in September. I didn't replace him immediately, since I knew I'd be moving, so it's only been the snail for the last seven months.

I haven't fed the tank, but have been careful not to clean it "too well", leaving a couple of dead leaves behind when I vacum the gravel. The snail doesn't like alge wafers, so I haven't been giving any food. My pH is 7, ammonia/nitrites/nitrates are all zero. The tank also has a nice "earthy" smell-- not dirty, just sort of "organic", if you get my drift.

I'd like to add another Betta, but am unsure if the tank remained cycled after losing the last fish. Should I try feeding the tank to see if my ammonia spikes, or am I being paranoid? The snail is doing well, as are the plants. Thanks in advance.

Most of the beneficial filter bacteria would have died due to lack of food, but some will remain because of the snail and continuous filtration.

If you want to add another fish then do a 75% water change and gravel clean the tank, wait 24 hours then add a fish.

The filter bacteria will repopulate pretty quickly because they are already there, albeit in low numbers :)

If you drop an algae wafer in the tank and leave it for a few hours you can check for ammonia. There shouldn't be any but there might be some. If you do get an ammonia reading after a few hours, remove the wafer and retest the ammonia the following day. If there's no ammonia the following day then the filters are happy and healthy and ready for another fish :)

Most reactions

Back