Is my tank ready?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RazielXSenketsu

Reaction score
I've been cycling my tank I have live plants in a 30 gallon tank I put a handful of fish food for ammonia and I've been dosing seachem stability for bacteria. I tested the ammonia levels today and they came out zero and the nitrite levels came out zero but the nitrate levels came out to over 180 rpm. When I first but I'm the food my ammonia was at 8 ppm and this sounds all perfect to me but my concern is that it has only been two weeks. Most people say this takes a month howd I achieve this in 2 weeks

Add some more food and test for a couple of days. If everything drops back to 0 and stays there you should be good to go.
Plants use ammonia as a nutrient and do not turn this into nitrite (or nitrate). So chances are that your filter is technically not fully cycled, but your system as a whole is capable of dealing with ammonia. Please do double check - but this is a good way of getting to add fish sooner.

Nitrate will be high as ammonia is converted to nitrite which is converted to nitrate. Before you get fish you will need to do a big water change to get rid of the nitrate. I know you have live plants, but they won't be able to get the nitrate level below 20 ppm by themselves or they would have done so already.

Stock the tank slowly, and check ammonia and nitrite daily. If they stay at zero for several days, you can get the next batch. But if they ever show above zero, get them down with water chanegs and wait longer before getting the next fish.

Welcome to TFF.

I generally concur with other members posting here, but the nitrate seems very high. Knowing the plants (species and numbers), and if there is nitrate in your source (tap water), would help. Test your tap water for nitrate if you haven't already done so. And indicate the plants present.

There are no nitrates in my source water. Is it okay to change anymore water I already change 10 gallons in my 30 gallon but the nitrates are still pretty high being over 80ppm. Will I harm anything if I change more water?

There is no harm (and plenty of benefit) in large water changes. I change 75% in each of my 3 tanks every week.
If you have 80ppm and change 75% you will still have 20ppm (25% of 80) which is still high. SO you really need to do 2 or 3 75% changes. Or, since you have no fish yet, you could just change 95%.

Also my cherry barbs that are currently in a holding tank until this tank is ready have red gills and I checked the parameters I have 0 ppm of ammonia 0ppm nitrites and I think about 40 ppm nitrates are nitrates causing thier red gills. They arent acting weird at all they are bright and boisterous and playing but the red gills are causing me alot of anxiety

Red gills are fine on Cherry Barbs, they are red fish. I took a peek at mine and their entire body is red - including the gills. Now if they are a significantly different color of red than the rest of the body I would wonder, but Nitrates at a level of 40 ppm are hardly likely to do any damage. The 180 ppm is.

With my first tank, I had read about cycling with food so I gave it a try - all I got was ridiculously high Nitrates. I switched to ammonia (pure not any with detergents in it) and I had tanks with zero nitrates (along with zero ammonia and zero nitrites. I always wondered why one would cycle with food - because there is no bacteria to convert nitrates to ANYTHING except dirty water. Only water changes can get rid of Nitrates. So try to get rid of the nitrates with a 95% water change, then test all parameters for a couple of days (without adding any food) and see if you continue to get zero ammonia and nitrites and Nitrates at a level of 10-20. Make sure you clean your gravel if it shows lays of food on it or in it - and clean it deeply to get rid of all the decomposing food, unfortunately that may kill your cycling.

If you ever cycle an aquarium again please use ammonia - it's about $1.50 in the grocery store, just be sure to read the ingredients to make sure they haven't added perfumes or detergents - if they have, then keep looking for pure ammonia - perhaps a hardware store would carry it. I had multiple choices at my grocery store so I had no problem finding a pure form. If you lose all your cycling after the big water changes (and hopefully you won't) then start over with Ammonia rather than food. Then once you are cycled, you will STILL show a relatively high volume of Nitrates (they have nowhere to go) but if they are semi-reasonable, the do a 75% water change. Then add a small amount of ammonia - if you tank is cycled, the ammonia should disappear overnight but may show up as a low level of nitrates. If you get two days in a row where the tank is adequately cycling the ammonia then you can do one more water change and add your fish. (Nitrates do not have to be zero to consider your tank cycled, just make sure they are 20 or less ppm. If it's higher then do a water change and you can probably still add your fish since you'll be doing water changes weekly for the rest of your natural life LOL. I spend my time doing the dreaded water changes by talking to my fish, commenting on a brighter color or just that they are so beautiful, I give them a special treat like dried tubiflex worms which many fish love. I have one so-called Herbivour and I spent good money getting him a proper diet - which he totally ignores and is now eating all the carnivors food - so I give him a little lecture every day (I actually feed him first, trying to get him to eat his special diet - which he just ignores (it does smell awful) but while his selected diet may shorten his life, at least it will be a happy little life. I also spend my time examining every fish in the tank for abnormaliies.

Best of luck and Happy Holidays!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back