Is my tank cycling correctly?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

redtailshark34

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Iā€™ve just begun cycling a 55 gallon as you can see on my other post but the tank is already reading nitrates. It hasnā€™t been been running for a week and earlier today when I tested it ammonia was at 0.5 ppm, (ammonia was the only thing I tested at this time), and then later today I tested again and ammonia was 0ppm, nitrites were 0.25 ppm, and nitrates were 5 ppm. I was a little confused, but I guess it could make sense since I moved over an already established filter cartilage from one tank to this tank. The pH is still pretty high (8.0) which makes sense since the tank did just start running. Iā€™m doing a fish less cycle, the tank has two airstones, a heater, and live plants. I havenā€™t treated the water at all because I want the nitrogen cycle to start. Definitely still not adding fish for a while, but was curious to see what others had to say or if anyone else has had this experience?

I use AP
Iā€™ve just begun cycling a 55 gallon as you can see on my other post but the tank is already reading nitrates. It hasnā€™t been been running for a week and earlier today when I tested it ammonia was at 0.5 ppm, (ammonia was the only thing I tested at this time), and then later today I tested again and ammonia was 0ppm, nitrites were 0.25 ppm, and nitrates were 5 ppm. I was a little confused, but I guess it could make sense since I moved over an already established filter cartilage from one tank to this tank. The pH is still pretty high (8.0) which makes sense since the tank did just start running. Iā€™m doing a fish less cycle, the tank has two airstones, a heater, and live plants. I havenā€™t treated the water at all because I want the nitrogen cycle to start. Definitely still not adding fish for a while, but was curious to see what others had to say or if anyone else has had this experience?
I use API Freshwater Master Test Kit and this is my second tank.

Did you use water conditioner? The chlorine in tap water can kill BB. The established BB in the moved filter should jump start your cycled.

How much ammonia have you added? If the media you moved over has a lot of bacteria, the cycle will progress faster than one without mature media.

Have you tested your tap water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? There will be a small amount of ammonia in your tap water is yur water provider adds chloramine, and it is common to have nitrate in tap water.

Did you use water conditioner? The chlorine in tap water can kill BB. The established BB in the moved filter should jump start your cycled.
No, I havenā€™t used any water conditioners yet because I was afraid of killing BB.

Not using a water conditioner will kill the bacteria because there is chlorine or chloramine in tap water put there to kill bacteria (unless you get water from a well). You have to remove the chlorine/chloramine to allow the bacteria to grow and this is done by adding water conditioner.

You also have to add ammonia to feed the bacteria to get them to grow. If ammonia is not added, the bacteria have no food so they won't multiply.

How much ammonia have you added? If the media you moved over has a lot of bacteria, the cycle will progress faster than one without mature media.

Have you tested your tap water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? There will be a small amount of ammonia in your tap water is yur water provider adds chloramine, and it is common to have nitrate in tap water.
Tested tap:
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 0
ammonia: 0
The media I moved over has been cycling in an established tank for a little over a month.

Not using a water conditioner will kill the bacteria because there is chlorine or chloramine in tap water put there to kill bacteria (unless you get water from a well). You have to remove the chlorine/chloramine to allow the bacteria to grow and this is done by adding water conditioner.

You also have to add ammonia to feed the bacteria to get them to grow. If ammonia is not added, the bacteria have no food so they won't multiply.
I have some prime seachem on hand, would that work?

Yes that would be perfect.

Add enough of that to treat the whole tank, then add enough ammonia to get a reading of 3 ppm.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back