Is my tank cycled?

Tank Sinatra

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

Iā€™m currently at day 16 of my silent cycle
I'm starting to see really nice growth from the live plants now.

Is there a way to make sure that your tank is cycled, even after noticeable plant growth?

My first additions to the tank will be 8 Peacock Gudgeons. So I want to be sure that the plants and beneficial bacteria will be able to handle the new additions. I won't add anything to the tank until I know that it is definitely cycled.

Here are comparison photos. The first photo was taken today and the second photo was taken on 23rd March.

8DFE8F20-7EFA-4363-87B3-14D88C6809BE.jpeg

2D5625F6-E3AB-4ED7-8416-3DA014032F47.jpeg

There isnā€™t a way to know that your tank is cycled by looking at it. You have to test your water after having introduced a source of ammonia and after some time confirm that the level of ammonia and nitrite reads 0 and the presence of nitrates. Your use of the term ā€˜silent cycleā€™ leads me to believe that youā€™re mostly going to rely on plants to filter your tank. If thatā€™s the case then I do not believe that you have enough plants to handle the bioload of 8 peacock gudgeons at this time. The tank would have to be very heavily planted with fast growers.

Hi all,

Iā€™m currently at day 16 of my silent cycle
I'm starting to see really nice growth from the live plants now.

Is there a way to make sure that your tank is cycled, even after noticeable plant growth?

My first additions to the tank will be 8 Peacock Gudgeons. So I want to be sure that the plants and beneficial bacteria will be able to handle the new additions. I won't add anything to the tank until I know that it is definitely cycled.

Here are comparison photos. The first photo was taken today and the second photo was taken on 23rd March.

View attachment 133875
View attachment 133876
Your tanks looks great! Love the mopani wood. Itā€™s going to be stunning when it grows in!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back