Is my tank cycled ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Has you ever had an indication for ammonia?
If so how much?
Have you ever had a reding for nitrite?
Again how much?

As a tank cycles bacteria eats ammonia and multiplies.
This bacteria produces nitrite, another bacteria eats the nitrite and multiplies, but not as fast as the ammonia eating bacteria, so nitrites will actually reach a peak before coming down again.
You know if you are fully cycled when you can add 3ppm ammonia to the tank and then ammonia and nitrites read nil after 24 hours. Don't try this if you have fish in the water.
Ammonia is scarce at the moment but I found a bottle of Dr Tims on eBay, paid 3 times the going rate but I got it.

Safestart doesn't contain ammonia, otherwise all the bacteria would have eaten it, multiplied, then suffocated after using up all the oxygen in the bottle.
Ye so have had a reading of 3ppm ammonia the other day but it was on a test strip that was around two years old but I did a 85% water change anyway

Please read what I have suggested properly along with the cycling article otherwise you will have issues with your betta if you add him to the tank next week without doing anything else.

Please read what I have suggested properly along with the cycling article otherwise you will have issues with your betta if you add him to the tank next week without doing anything else.
Ok I have done will will read again I really don’t want my Betta to die so I will do what it takes to give him the best care

Did you have fish in the tank?
Unfortunately I have a gourami start being extremely aggressive in my community tank and had no choice but to put the gourami in that smaller tank so yes but I did an 85% water change and the gourami will be moved back to my 200L community as soon as possible

You can transfer some of your established filter media, no more than 25% max of sponge media and a small amount of ceramic noodles/bio balls to the betta tank filter, or if it’s a sponge filter tie the sponge media from established media around the new sponge media with thread or elastic band, this will pretty much instantly cycle the betta tank.

Even just small handful of substrate from established tank to the betta tank will help as well.

One or both of these methods will have some of the bb you need and will spread all around the tank and filter quickly.

I completely forgot you had other tanks :rolleyes:

You can transfer some of your established filter media, no more than 25% max of sponge media and a small amount of ceramic noodles/bio balls to the betta tank filter, or if it’s a sponge filter tie the sponge media from established media around the new sponge media with thread or elastic band, this will pretty much instantly cycle the betta tank.

Even just small handful of substrate from established tank to the betta tank will help as well.

One or both of these methods will have some of the bb you need and will spread all around the tank and filter quickly.

It ok thank you h in have already put quite a lot of gravel from my other tank in as that was my first though when I had to move in the gourami :)

I have had some what I think is like yellowy orangy algae pop up at the back of the tank today is that a good thing ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 65
Am not sure what that is, not seen anything quite like that before. Think might just be a type of algae.

Looks like it will wipe off and that’s what I would do, simply clean it off and hope that will sort that.
Ok thank you I Have just tested my water with the master test kit and it reads
Ammonia : 0 ( maybe 0.1 ppm over but most likely 0)
Nitrite : 0
Nitrate : 5 ppm - 10ppm

Ok so I have gotten some fish for the tank today and a moss ball I plan on adding plants soon aswell here they are there is a little algae in there at the minute but going to take that out soon aswell :)

Attachments

• 0F85277E-74A1-4E76-8E5B-84641B6E90EF.jpeg
    0F85277E-74A1-4E76-8E5B-84641B6E90EF.jpeg
    259 KB · Views: 59
  • 4DCB0683-6D63-4AA3-8029-EC6282A2BEA5.jpeg
    4DCB0683-6D63-4AA3-8029-EC6282A2BEA5.jpeg
    243.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 87EAA594-9831-4805-B40B-D19D708F314B.jpeg
    87EAA594-9831-4805-B40B-D19D708F314B.jpeg
    285.6 KB · Views: 55
  • CF8C35F3-6B59-4F27-9517-04458D382705.jpeg
    CF8C35F3-6B59-4F27-9517-04458D382705.jpeg
    284.5 KB · Views: 63
  • E611B648-0E87-4070-8FFC-E067F3BDB289.jpeg
    E611B648-0E87-4070-8FFC-E067F3BDB289.jpeg
    258.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 153263D8-2F88-4AAB-A57E-6453E6950BFD.jpeg
    153263D8-2F88-4AAB-A57E-6453E6950BFD.jpeg
    302.4 KB · Views: 55
The photos look like a male and female betta - is that what they are and are they in the same tank? If they are you need to separate them asap. They should never be kept together except briefly during spawning, and even then a close watch has to be kept on them.

The photos look like a male and female betta - is that what they are and are they in the same tank? If they are you need to separate them asap. They should never be kept together except briefly during spawning, and even then a close watch has to be kept on them.
I think it might even be two males and a female. Definitely three different bettas... :oops:

@EllRog ?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back