Is My Tank Cycled?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

HalfTailedOwner

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I'm still new to the hobby after a month of fish keeping. I've noticed by betta is still alive, which means I've probably done something right. I just bought a testing kit today (besides the ammonia kit) and have been able to check all the results.

Here are the tank parameters in my 10 gallon tank:

.25 ppm ammonia (Still lowering it after the ammonia spike)
1 ppm nitrite
0 ppm nitrate
180 gh
180 kh 7.5 pH

First of all, I want to ask: is my tank cycled? I've also seen growth of diatoms in the tank--I've watched videos about them and apparently they're a sign of a new, cycled tank (or at least, in the process). I just want to make sure that it is cycled...? If you need me to send pictures, I will gladly do so.

Second of all, what worries me is the general/carbonate hardiness. Why are they so high? What can I do to lower them; apparently a betta needs something much less?

Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome! If you’re still showing nitrites and no nitrates yet then you are still cycling.

Hi and welcome! If you’re still showing nitrites and no nitrates yet then you are still cycling.
Can I ask how close I am to completely finishing the cycle? Also, is the hardiness of the water okay for a betta?

It is impossible to say how close you are to being cycled, but since you have nitrite you are good way through the process. Just keep doing water changes to get ammonia and nitrite as close as possible to zero.
Do you have any live plants in the tank? Bettas like to have floating plants, and these are particularly good at taking up ammonia which will help your cycle. Water sprite is the best one.

Your hardness is fine. GH is the main one to look at. There are two units used in fish keeeping; your 180 will be ppm, and that converts to 10 dH. This is well within the range needed by bettas.
KH is not nearly as important as it doesn't really impact on fish directly. It is a measure of the amount of buffer in the water. A buffer is a substance that keeps the pH stable. With very low KH it can get used up quickly and there is a risk that the pH could fall. With your KH, there is plenty to keep the pH stable. Stable pH is important to fish.

Hello! :hi:

Your Nitrite and Nitrate should be 0ppm, beach both are deadly to fish. Your hardness is fine, and your ph is good.

I hope this helps! :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back