Is My Tank Cycled?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

animals970

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 10 Gallon tank and I started it up cycling 1 week ago. I added a full dose of ammonia in the tank and now the ammonia readings come up as 0PPM. Is it cycled?

I highly doubt it unless you added mature media and something like Dr. Tim's One & Only.
Have you read the cycling article at the top of the page? Just want to check.
Have you tested for Nitrite?

It is possible though unlikely that your tank has cycled 3ppm of ammonia in one week.  It is more likely if you added some material from a mature tank (e.g. filter sponge, gravel, ornaments).
It it also possible that your ammonia test kit is faulty and giving a false zero.  Did you test the level of ammonia immediately after you added it?

Your tank will be cycled when both your ammonia AND nitrite are 0ppm within 24 hours of adding a full dose of 3ppm ammonia.  This normally takes several weeks.

Can I ask what test kit are you using?

Paper strip test kit are pretty unreliable and tend to be inaccurate.

Liquid test kits are far more accurate.

Do you have any nitrite readings?

1. I have the API liquid test kit.

2. I don't have a Nitrite Test Kit

You'll need the nitrite tests am afraid.

PH, ammonia and nitrite test are pretty essential for beginners.

Nitrite is a by product of ammonia then becomes nitrates. All are toxic to fish in varying degrees.
You need the nitrite test kit to know when to dose with ammonia for each stage of Fishless cycle.

Nitrates test not needed so much and can give inaccurate readings but I find useful to have anyway.

Most reactions

Back