Is my shrimp pregnant?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Wells

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I originally had 4 shrimp and lost one quite early on, its been about 4 weeks since I've had them now and the 3 surviviors have done well gaining good size and colour.

Just noticed this one under the angle of the light, looks like it has eggs?

Anyone with better knowledge of shrimp able to confirm / assist

20200825_182250.jpg

Also, the white spots on the driftwood are my pesky nerite snail laying eggs like its going out of business!

Yep, she's what we call "berried"! Meaning she's carrying a load of eggs. Congrats! If you get a chance, look up a video that shows how they 'give birth'. It's both hilarious and awesome!

You could probably slow down with your feeding, thats why snails have babies.

Cherry shrimp actually carry their eggs outside the body. You should be able to see them constantly jiggling up and down and her swimmerets constantly moving to keep water flowing over them. Of course its much easier to see if they have clear bodies :)
20180525_154145-jpg.87830

Cherry shrimp actually carry their eggs outside the body. You should be able to see them constantly jiggling up and down and her swimmerets constantly moving to keep water flowing over them. Of course its much easier to see if they have clear bodies :)
20180525_154145-jpg.87830
That's a pretty awesome photo, and easy for you to spot a berried female, you lucky thing!

She looks like one of those kids toys full of sweets or something. Like she was dispensed from a bubble gum dispenser for 20p. Only more beautiful and miraculous. You know what I mean!

Don’t be alarmed if she drops her eggs, if you see them stuck to the side of the aquarium or a plant leaf. It is common for them to drop eggs if they are her first time. I’ve had some carried and born and I’ve had some dropped. There is a way to keep them alive if they’re dropped but I’ve never done it myself. They need constant flow over the eggs.

I'm pretty sure I've seen my shrimp carry and drop eggs twice now, and last night I saw some surviviors!

2 new little shrimps, hopefully they don't get eaten and grow well, I was very excited and happy to discover the first then my missus found the second, fingers crossed there is more.

20200930_181814.jpg

20200930_181954.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back