Is My Pleco Sick?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

cooledwhip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey all. I have had a planted tank (20 gallon long) right now for about a month, it's a planted tank with a 150w fluval heater, quiet pro 20g filter, 1 CO2 diffuser and a co2 atomizer. I got a pleco about a couple weeks ago and for the first couple weeks he has been skiddish, always running from me. He had no where to hide like no cave or anything until this past weekend where I bought 2 large pieces of drift wood and let them soak, etc and he has kinda been hiding behind them but they are nothing like caves.

BTW he has a tank mate, it's a small blue guppy I've had for a week.

Anyway, a few days ago I noticed like patches or white things on his body, and just today I wanted to see if he was ok so I stuck my hand in the water just to bring it towards him and see if he was scared and would swim off somewhere.

To my surprise, I don't know if this is normal or not, but either way he let me bring my hand to him and put it on him. I was on him, kinda handling him (lightly). Then he would scurry away and hide from me.

IDK if this is normal, idk if he was comfortable and finally adjusted to his environment but here are some pics of him:

http://imgur.com/a/JFhAL

For some reason I couldn't attach files because they were more than 300KB or something

Yes your BN is sick. You got a guppy last week? and put it straight in the tank with the BN?   It looks like ICH.  Have you got a photo of the Guppy?

Ichthyophthirius multifiliis (commonly known as freshwater white spot disease, freshwater ich, or freshwater ick) is a common disease of freshwater fish. It is caused by the protozoan Ichthyopthirius. Ich is one of the most common and persistent diseases in fish.

Noooooo. I feel terrible. Do I have to throw out all the plants, substrate, drift wood, etc? I think I heard of some fish diseases where you must throw out everything in the tank.

can this be transferred to humans? I recently got a cold. (I hope it's a cold now lol)

I'm pretty new to this hobby, so is there any way to treat ICH? I have a spare 10 gallon in my basement right now, I'm sure if I needed to I could clean it out and put him in there.
How is this caused?

Here is a pic of the guppy:
http://imgur.com/vZEUlcO

I do see some white spots on him ,  I could be wrong.

I have a spare 10 gallon in my basement right now, I'm sure if I needed to I could clean it out and put him in there.

You will have to treat both fish and the tank. As I have never dealt with ICH I wont give treatment advice.

"As I have never dealt with ICH I wont give treatment advice."

Why would you suggest it's ICH...

It probably is. Anyway, I looked up some videos online and I did a 60% water change, added a LOT of freshwater salt, removed the fish, I turned the lights off and have my heater on 81 right now. Both the fish are in a ~5 gallon tank? It's kinda a bowl, it has some salt in it and a bubble filter + air stone. The pleco is already on his back and floating around but sometimes he catches himself and gets back on his stomach and swims a bit. The guppy looks like he has it too but he is swimming. I kinda want to just get rid of the fish, they show no signs of healing but that's inhumane. 

Is there anything else I can do to the tank? 

I don't want to sound like some jerk who doesn't care about the fish, but it seems like they won't make it. I have them taken care of, situated and now I just have time to wait to see what happens. As for the tank, what do I do about that? Is there anything I can buy to put in there to kill it all out of the tank? Thanks again. If you know anyone who knows more about ICH please tell me I want this taken care of.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back