SABWARNER16

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Not sure if she is pregnant or just thick

Attachments

• 36DAEB74-59D6-482E-9CA7-6917BB6CB890.png
    36DAEB74-59D6-482E-9CA7-6917BB6CB890.png
    512.5 KB · Views: 54
I have never tried, I would think it would be alright if they are around the same size, I have 13 platy fry in a 30 gallon tank with snails currently. I like your castle, here is my guppy/platy LOTR castle tank

Attachments

• GEDC1312.JPG
    GEDC1312.JPG
    355 KB · Views: 39
Can I keep molly fry and platy fry together? I have some molly fry in a breeding box.
Yep, they'll be fine as long as they're close in size. If one batch is much bigger than the other, they may eat the smaller batch, but as long as they're too small to do that, they'll be fine.

Bear in mind that a breeder box is only good for a week or two mind. The fry will grow better, stronger and faster if they're in a tank of their own, fed a few times a day, and with frequent water changes. If you can't do a separate tank, then getting some plants for them to hide in and leaving them in the main tank would be best.

Yep, they'll be fine as long as they're close in size. If one batch is much bigger than the other, they may eat the smaller batch, but as long as they're too small to do that, they'll be fine.

Bear in mind that a breeder box is only good for a week or two mind. The fry will grow better, stronger and faster if they're in a tank of their own, fed a few times a day, and with frequent water changes. If you can't do a separate tank, then getting some plants for them to hide in and leaving them in the main tank would be best.
I actually didn’t know that oops :( there’s a whole castle and a ton of plants. You think they’ll be okay to let go? I don’t have a separate tank for them. My danio are kind of not very nice

I actually didn’t know that oops :( there’s a whole castle and a ton of plants. You think they’ll be okay to let go? I don’t have a separate tank for them. My danio are kind of not very nice
The more hiding plants you can provide, the better. Some floating plants, like bunches of elodea left to float, and some plants down near the bottom too, will give the fry a better chance of surviving. Fake plants will do to, when my first guppy fry were born, I had a lot of live plants, but none had reached the surface yet, and all the fry gathered at the surface. I rushed to LFS who had some silk plants reduced to a £1 each, so I got a bunch of em, suction cupped them to the side of the tank at the top, and it made a great fry nursery. Every time an adult fish ventured in, the fry just moved around the leaves to hide. I fed the adults on the other side of the tank, then crushed flakes into tiny pieces and dropped them into that fry nursery, so the fry didn't have to come out of hiding to eat. Worked brilliantly. In my experience with guppies/platies/mollies, most fry like to hide in plants at the surface, while some go to the substrate, so some dense planting at the top and bottom gives them the best shot.

If you keep the adults well fed, they're less likely to get hungry enough to bother chasing down fry. But be wary of overfeeding too, and increase water changes to make up the difference. If you overfeed the tank, could easily cause an ammonia spike.

Some might get eaten, but most should make it, and the ones that don't make it, it's a part of nature. Usually any that get eaten are the weaker, slower or sickly ones, so it can be good to let nature take its course. Better to risk that, while feeding and planting to give them a chance, than to leave them in a breeder box for longer than a week or two.

What's the stocking and tank size in the main tank?
Thank you so much for that information, I really appreciate the help. I found them hiding in my fake plants that are very dense so they’ll probably go back there. I’ll get some floating ones too though like you mentioned.

It’s a 29 gallon tank with 6 zebra danio, two platies, a Dalmatian molly, one snail, and like 8 ghost shrimp. There are 5 Dalmatian molly fry right now

Ah, you're not overcrowded yet then, just bear in mind that your female molly and platies will keep churning out fry most months now, even if there are no males around anymore, since livebearers store sperm. So the girls can keep having fry for months - even up to a year - without seeing another male. So letting nature take its course with fry might be the best plan.

Have raised platy and mollie fry in a tank that contains zebra danios too, they're still producing plenty in that tank!

My tetra fry would hide in my floating hornwort and anacharis and go in the small openings in the castle to hide. Here is a picture of two tetra fry hiding in hornwort and waiting for me to feed them.

Attachments

• GEDC1222.JPG
    GEDC1222.JPG
    272.7 KB · Views: 35
Ah, you're not overcrowded yet then, just bear in mind that your female molly and platies will keep churning out fry most months now, even if there are no males around anymore, since livebearers store sperm. So the girls can keep having fry for months - even up to a year - without seeing another male. So letting nature take its course with fry might be the best plan.

Have raised platy and mollie fry in a tank that contains zebra danios too, they're still producing plenty in that tank!
Okay I’m thinking you’re right. Now just to release them without my danio thinking they’re food haha...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back