Is My Platy Pregnant Or Just Fat?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Liz1218

Reaction score
I've never owned fish before and I think 3 of my platys are pregnant. I have 6 female platys and 2 male total (2 different kinds). I'm almost positive that they are, but I want someone else to look and confirm. They've looked pregnant to me for at least a month and I'm getting concerned. How long are they noticeably pregnant?
I'm just going to post a picture of 1 because their bellies look about the same, so if 1 is the others are too.

5fec282a.jpg

I know the picture isn't that great, but she wouldn't hold still! :lol:

Here's a couple more pictures of the same fish.

bdf05259.jpg

28289453.jpg

yes shes prego!

YAY! I'm really excited! How do I know when she'll drop? Any signs I should look for?
she will breath really heavy and fast and will hide..

I've been debating on getting a breeders net. If I put momma in there and am wrong about when she'll drop, how long can I leave her in there? And how long can I leave the fry in there? I know ideally you would want the fry to be about an inch before putting them back in the tank, but I don't have a spare tank so they would need to stay in the net. I have a few plants but I'm worried they won't be enough cover. If I do get a net, should I get the plastic one that separates the momma and fry? Or the actual net where I would remove momma?

i would get a breeder net but only for the babies. catch as many as possible while the birthing is happening because it is nearly impossible to guess when to put her in and guessing when at the wrong time can cause miscarriages and death for the babies and mother. you can put the babies in the breeder net, no prob (but i would get a breeder box with vents) but the mother should not go in.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back