Is my platy pregnant or chunky ?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Aimee_Jane9

Reaction score
Hey all! Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

I'm just enquiring whether my platy is pregnant or chunky lol... I recently had them off my mate, who was getting rid of their set up etc. I had 4 in total and she is most definitely the biggest out of them all... Assuming she is female that is? Judging by some FAQ I've read she is female. I have more pictures if needed.

Thanks again for reading ? and take care.

Attachments

• 20210406_211233.jpg
    20210406_211233.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210406_211230.jpg
    20210406_211230.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 20210406_211205.jpg
    20210406_211205.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 52
Sorry I'm blind as a bat ? okie dokie, thank you for your help. Do you know roughly how far she's gone? Or does it not make a difference. I obviously don't want to put her in the breeding net too soon as I've read up about it stressing her etc. And I don't have another tank ready yet to move her into it. Thanks again.

Sorry I'm blind as a bat ? okie dokie, thank you for your help. Do you know roughly how far she's gone? Or does it not make a difference. I obviously don't want to put her in the breeding net too soon as I've read up about it stressing her etc. And I don't have another tank ready yet to move her into it. Thanks again.
Bit hard to tell when she's due. I've got variatus platies as well. There are pregnant females that give birth when squared off. But there are also females that are very round and a bit round that may drop soon. From my own experience with variatus platies it's an open window how big they get before dropping fry.
But I also have to say that my variatus platies leave their fry alone.

Bit hard to tell when she's due. I've got variatus platies as well. There are pregnant females that give birth when squared off. But there are also females that are very round and a bit round that may drop soon. From my own experience with variatus platies it's an open window how big they get before dropping fry.
But I also have to say that my variatus platies leave their fry alone.
Ah fair enough! Just a waiting game then, until I become a grandma ? It's the other fish in the tank that I'm worried about to be honest. I've noticed her starting to favour a spot in the tank, so could be any day now ?‍♀️
Thanks so much for your help honestly ? I'll update you when it happens ?

Ah fair enough! Just a waiting game then, until I become a grandma ? It's the other fish in the tank that I'm worried about to be honest. I've noticed her starting to favour a spot in the tank, so could be any day now ?‍♀️
Thanks so much for your help honestly ? I'll update you when it happens ?
Hey! So if I had to guess- I would guess within the next few weeks. My platys always looked like this for 1-3 weeks before giving birth. She will get very lethargic and will hide away- they are also known to not eat too much when they are ready to give birth. The other fish WILL stress her out and they all are inclined to eating the babies. Take them out if you can OR buy floating plants and large rocks to give the babies space to hide until they are ready.

Good luck!

Hey! So if I had to guess- I would guess within the next few weeks. My platys always looked like this for 1-3 weeks before giving birth. She will get very lethargic and will hide away- they are also known to not eat too much when they are ready to give birth. The other fish WILL stress her out and they all are inclined to eating the babies. Take them out if you can OR buy floating plants and large rocks to give the babies space to hide until they are ready.

Good luck!
Thank you very much ?

We have 1 fry! But I have pregnant guppies, so trying to figure out if this is a guppy or platy if anyone can help? Please

Attachments

• 20210417_200107.jpg
    20210417_200107.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210417_200058.jpg
    20210417_200058.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210417_200050.jpg
    20210417_200050.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 49
We have 1 fry! But I have pregnant guppies, so trying to figure out if this is a guppy or platy if anyone can help? Please
Definitely a platy fry. You can tell by its shape.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back