Is My Platy Pregnant And If It Is, Is It Just About To Give Birth

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

michael90

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
i have just noticed a large plack spot near the anal side of the fish and it just done a poo like thing but is long and clear, is it about to go into labour? help would be great thanks

The so-called 'gravid spot' is of no use in determining pregnancy in livebearers, I'm afraid; it's more likely to be part of the fish's digestive system.

Long, clear poos are also of no use; they could mean the fish is about to give birth, but equally likely slightly constipated, has gulped a lot of air at the surface while feeding, or even that it has intestinal parasites.

The only true way to tell if a livebearer is near to giving birth is if she's 'squared off'; that means her belly has developed distinct 'corners'; it will look like she's swallowed a box, but young females might not get very boxy, if they haven't had many broods.

If you're thinking of removing the female to some sort of breeding box or net, then please think again. Those boxes/nets are too small for the female to feel comfortable, which can lead to her aborting or eating the fry, and they're too small to grow fry on in.

Adding plenty of hiding places to the main tank (fine leaved live plants, like elodea or cabomba are best for this) is the best way to ensure some fry survive.

it wont allow me to upload a picture. i currently have it in a breeding box but the tank is large with plenty of plant life in.

Breeding boxes tend to stress out the fish. What are the tank mates? Some tank mates will just let the fry be and wont eat them. 

tank mates are a mixture of danios 6 in total a male platy and two other female platys, 6 white cloud mountain minnows

Danios love to eat fry. When you see her starting to give birth you could put her in the box or you can also scoop out whatever fry you see and put them in the box, you can watch her drop them or you can just look every few minutes to see if there are more. This is what I have done before. 

thanks for the help. my platy has given birth and has had (what i can see) 22 fry. the breeding box i used was a large one anyway so i made it homy so it wasnt easily stressed. but all is good and thanks again

Hey my fish is pregnant n I don't know when she is going to drop fry can u tell
content://media/external/file/28136
content://media/external/file/28137

content://media/external/file/28138

Sorry here they are

Attachments

• 20150106_222557.jpg
    20150106_222557.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 20150108_102556.jpg
    20150108_102556.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 66
  • 20150108_102602.jpg
    20150108_102602.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 72
Probably within the next week. It gets easier once you get to know your fish and what size they are when they drop. I have a female who will drop in 5 or 6 days, I'm pretty pumped. :) 

Thanks so much it's my first time with a pregnant fish so I was wondering I can see that little tube thing by her butt so hopefully next week I'll have babies

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back