Is My Platty Pregnant?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

phantomlink

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I was looking around my tank a few minutes ago and saw one of my platties and she was HUGE. They last ate a few hours ago so it cant be a full stomach. I just dont know if she got knocked up or if there might be something wrong with here like Dropsy or something. Her scales seem fine, I originally had 7 females and 2 males but now I'm down to 1 males and 4-5 females. If she's preggers I'll try to save what fry I can and hope to get another male in the tank. A video is much better in this situation then pictures so heres what I got for now, its a little dark in this room and I'm working this weekend so I wont be able to get a brighter shot until Monday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n1MDMd2OHI

Looks preggers to me :eek:
If she's not pregnant then she could be bloated.
If she is pregnant keep an eye on her gravid spot, it should become darker when she's about to give birth :)
Do you see any dark spots in her belly?

looks like there might be but most of them are a little dark on the bottom. I'll have to get a bigger breeding cage tomorrow just incase

Absolutely pregnant. By the way she is a very richly colored red wag platy. Nice lil girl there!

Thanks, I haven't had fish in a long time besides for a few piranhas the past couple of years and I always wanted a big tank so I got this 125 gallon and the platties were on sale so cheap I couldn't say no. Sadly of all the fish in my tank to die it mostly seems to be them not sure why. Even found one that hopped out the back of my tank :/ Oh well if I can catch most of this batch I'll have some more and I'll give the rest to my independant LFS. I have a small temporary breeding cage for when I originally planned to have guppies before I got the large tank I put her in and placed her in the calmer 20 gallon with the guppies we have now. I know breeding cages can stress them out but I wanted to be sure to catch them if she does it overnight for whatever reason. I'm working all weekend and by the time I get off work the LFS is closed so I'll have to have my girlfriend pick me up a larger net/container. If she's still fat in the morning I'll release her back in the main tank for the day I dont want to stress her too much

Awwwe you love your fishy babies. :lol: I hope everything goes well and she gives birth in the one night you have her in there.

Well, shes not fat anymore and the cage was empty I guess she was just bloated :(

She could have eaten them after birthing.
Unless she turned around mid birth and ate them the second they popped out, the birthing cage I have from the guppies has the slit in the middle where the fry fall into the bottom half and mom cant get to them

My platy fry always escape out of the slits in the sides of the breeding trap, that might have happened in this case! They don't like they could fit through, but trust me, they can :crazy:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back