FishkeeperDiscoWostit

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello :)
I have a planted 24l tank with four male fancy guppies. The pH in the tank is 8.2, I have read that guppies like it between 6.8 and 7.6.
I have a bottle of API pH adjuster, it says 1ml for 38l but it doesn't say how much that actually lowers the water by.
I know that sudden changes in pH are bad for fish, so should I bother using it at all?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi it is a bit high but I dont think it will do them damage in the same way it would with some species like tetras.

I wouldnt use the chemical route to soften the water as it can lead to fluctuations and fish always fare better in stable conditions even if its a little off.

Just to check you said its 8.2 in the tank is it the same from your tap? Do you have anything rocks in the tank that can harden the water like Seriyu Stone?

Wills

Let's get to the root of the problem. Where does the water come from? is it from a supply by your local water authority? If so just visit their website to find out the water paramters.
Guppies can go up to and slightly beyond 8.2 pH apparently but are best at something like a neutral reading around 7.5.
I'm in the same sort of problem area for pH from my own water authority so I just use either 5 ltr bottles of Tesco/Asda water to dilute it, or use rainwater from a recent 100ltr rainwater barrel I installed recently, which are now on sale at Lidl for only £19.

As has been mentioned, never, absolutely never use pH adjusting preparations. These are detrimental to fish, and they usually do not work because of the complex water chemistry. The pH is tied to the hardness, both GH and KH. Other factors such as CO2 can play into this. And in some areas, water authorities add substances to raise pH. The only way to safely adjust pH--and I am not suggesting it is needed here--is to adjust the GH and KH. And, only after ensuring you are aware of all additives, etc, that my be occurring from the water authority.

Messing with parameters can cause serious issues, so it is best avoided. Particularly as here where you have fish (guppies) that prefer harder water and basic pH.

Hello :)
I have a planted 24l tank with four male fancy guppies. The pH in the tank is 8.2, I have read that guppies like it between 6.8 and 7.6.
I have a bottle of API pH adjuster, it says 1ml for 38l but it doesn't say how much that actually lowers the water by.
I know that sudden changes in pH are bad for fish, so should I bother using it at all?
Any help would be much appreciated.
i have guppeis, corys, angels, and kuhli loaches very happy in a ph of 8.4. it being stable is more important that what level its actually at

I personally don't think any Freshwater fish should be subjected to a pH over about 7.6. There are a few exceptions to this rule, but generally speaking. Likewise, I feel that no tank should run with a pH below about 6.4. I feel that in this day and age we all believe that the fish we keep are way more tolerant than they actually are.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back