Is my new guppy pregnant?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

FunnelCreator

Reaction score
I just bought the guppy and iā€™m either convinced that it is pregnant or that it was recently fed alot. Which is it?

Attachments

• 64846D76-764B-4DC7-A596-7D88A0B2990E.jpeg
    64846D76-764B-4DC7-A596-7D88A0B2990E.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 516
none, it just looks like a healthy guppy that wasn't underfed
maybe starting to show signs of pregnancy

none, it just looks like a healthy guppy that wasn't underfed
maybe starting to show signs of pregnancy
It has gone 24 hours now with a massive stomach. My other guppies digest food pretty quickly so Iā€™m assuming itā€™s pregnant I guess

If I look at the first photo you've posted, she doesn't look pregnant to me at all. Not even overfed.
1658672752640.png

She's a nice looking blond koi guppy.

The guppy has been at the fish store for about 2 weeks and was in a tank with other males. ā€” Which is why I am asking
If she would be pregnant, she must be at a very very early stage of pregnancy. But again, it could also be that she's not pregnant at all. Even if she's been with one or more males in one tank. If she's mated, she doesn't have to be pregnant right away. If she stores the sperm packets of a mating without using one or more sperm packets, then her eggs won't be fertilized. So, a mating itself won't say that a female is pregnant. But again, if she is pregnant, the pregnancy is at an early stage. The presence of a gravid spot itself isn't an indication of pregnancy for also non pregnant females will show a gravid spot. Only when the skin at the gravid spot starts to expand (visually it looks as if it grows for the skin is stretching more), it will be a sign of pregnancy. The gravid spot itself won't darken as many claim. But because the skin overthere stretches, the skin on that spot becomes more translucent and you'll see the development of the embryos more shining through that part of the skin. And that's why the gravid spot looks darker.
Sometimes it seems as if the gravid spot looks more pale than before. That's because skin reacts on the mood of the fish. And because of the fact that the gravid spot is also a part of the skin, it will react as well.

If she would be pregnant, she must be at a very very early stage of pregnancy. But again, it could also be that she's not pregnant at all. Even if she's been with one or more males in one tank. If she's mated, she doesn't have to be pregnant right away. If she stores the sperm packets of a mating without using one or more sperm packets, then her eggs won't be fertilized. So, a mating itself won't say that a female is pregnant. But again, if she is pregnant, the pregnancy is at an early stage. The presence of a gravid spot itself isn't an indication of pregnancy for also non pregnant females will show a gravid spot. Only when the skin at the gravid spot starts to expand (visually it looks as if it grows for the skin is stretching more), it will be a sign of pregnancy. The gravid spot itself won't darken as many claim. But because the skin overthere stretches, the skin on that spot becomes more translucent and you'll see the development of the embryos more shining through that part of the skin. And that's why the gravid spot looks darker.
Sometimes it seems as if the gravid spot looks more pale than before. That's because skin reacts on the mood of the fish. And because of the fact that the gravid spot is also a part of the skin, it will react as well.
The guppy has been at the fish store for about 2 weeks and was in a tank with other males. ā€” Which is why I am asking
yeah if a female guppy has any contact with males, it will be fertilised, but to show signs of pregnancy will take some time.
also, i've found that some guppies are just plumper than others, especially Roundtail Blonde males.

I think you are all wrong at this point. They still have an enlarged stomach. I have males and one other female guppy and they do not have an enlarged stomach like this one.

Better picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 33
Better picture
This pic does show a fuller body than the first pic. Well, she could be pregnant but has still time to go... But I don't know how fast she got this shape. For it could also be bloat or maybe worms. But in case of worms, her waste would have a white till pale color. But bloat can let the belly show big in a very short time as well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back