Is my Nerrite snail ok?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

jonnyc88

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Found one snail upside down on the substrate. It looks like heā€™s shut himself in though. Do I need to turn him around or perhaps remove from tank?

CF70C998-5CDB-4DF3-AD02-08B1586828F3.jpeg

Thanks. He was on a leaf earlier so may have fell. Iā€™ve repositioned him. Not sure what the term is but he looks sealed so should still be alive.
Fingers crossed he moves in a bit.

Nerite snails often fall on their backs. If there is something close that they can grab onto they can right themselves, but even when there is something fish will often pick at the snail's body as it reaches out, sending it back in and clamping its door shut.
I have a stick than I use to flip them over so save me getting my whole arm wet.

Nerite snails often fall on their backs. If there is something close that they can grab onto they can right themselves, but even when there is something fish will often pick at the snail's body as it reaches out, sending it back in and clamping its door shut.
I have a stick than I use to flip them over so save me getting my whole arm wet.
I think someone mentioned before that if they are dead the door will not be shut?

Initially I didn't really like the idea of snails but I've grown to really like the twin Nerrites in my tank. They are amazing to watch. One of them even have battle scar as a Corydoras laid eggs on the shell and the barbs were picking at it.

When a snail is thoroughly dead there is nothing to hold the trapdoor shut so if the snail is on its side, everything falls out. But if it's on its back, gravity will hold the trapdoor in place.
The trapdoor can be slightly open with a live snail. What I do to check is gently pull at the open edge of the trapdoor with a fingernail and if it's snatched away, the snail is alive.

When a snail is thoroughly dead there is nothing to hold the trapdoor shut so if the snail is on its side, everything falls out. But if it's on its back, gravity will hold the trapdoor in place.
The trapdoor can be slightly open with a live snail. What I do to check is gently pull at the open edge of the trapdoor with a fingernail and if it's snatched away, the snail is alive.
Don't really fancy poking inside a snail so sniff test will do me :) The Nerrites, unless sleeping, are pretty active. They more surprisingly quick for a snail...

It's not really poking inside snail - I just hold it and if the trapdoor isn't closed, I flick the door outwards with my fingernail. A live snail reacts to that pretty quickly.

Don't really fancy poking inside a snail so sniff test will do me :) The Nerrites, unless sleeping, are pretty active. They more surprisingly quick for a snail...
Yep, I love nerites. Especially little tiny yellow and black ones that get little horns.
I like them so much I don't care about the eggs. Industrious busy little cuties!

I have to smile...what a bunch we are, worried about tiny creatures and checking every 15 minutes. ^_^

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back