Is My Neon Tetra Sick?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
It's really the room temperature that seems to be causing the heat, we rarely use the ac because of mold...Although I almost always leave the water out in bowl for a day or two when doing water changes unless for emergencies in which case I do use API water conditioner with slime coat. It just really annoys me that I add a lot of things like driftwood and plants but it hardly affects the water pH.  Any fish you recommend for 30 gallon ?
cowgirluntamed said:
Ok...first thing....quit messing with the ph. Using chemicals like this will make it fluctuate way too much. Which is way stressful for the fish. It may not be ideal, but a stable ph is better. Do you use a water conditioner as well to remove chlorine/chloramines? Also I wouldn't do really drastic temperature change when you do the water changes. I know some people do cooler ones for certain fish but it is mainly for breeding.

As to your temperature....is this tank in the sun? Is that why it's heating up or is the room it's in too hot? If you cant get this to lower by changing something of that sort, I'd suggest trying to get a chiller for your tank. Otherwise you're just kind of cooking these fish, sorry to say. This kind of heat is suggested to treat ich and only stay that high temporarily(a week or two).

I really wouldn't think of getting any more fish until you can get the temperature down if that's what they need. Otherwise look for warmer water fish.

Do you only have chlorine in your water then and not chloramines? I believe the chloramines don't gas off like the chlorine does.

https://youtu.be/n5s8Cu59-NM

This seems like a cool idea(no pun intended lol)! There are other vids as well about cooling tanks you may look at.

As for fish, you still may be able to do the neon tetras if you can figure out a way to cool the tank, whether through evaporation type stuff or a diy cooler thing like this. I actually have a 20 gallon that has black neon tetras and glowlight tetras. The glowlights are just over 2 years old and going strong and the black neons are close to that. My ph is 8.2 but very stable. I never tried chemicals but I've had lots of driftwood(still do) and it does nothing to my ph. This is in part to my higher kh and gh. I am also going to do a bigger tank with tetras but I am trying to keep to the ones that are a bit more adaptable. I will be making the 20 into a neon tetra tank eventually. Lol. I tried them once before and they died one by one. I just think it was a bad batch from petsmart. Probably neon tetra disease. I'm going to get fish online next time.

Other than that, you may ask on the discussion board about fish types that can handle higher temps. I think your ph should be ok for the most part as long as you keep it stable. Though if you truly wanted it to go down, you would have to dilute it with RO or distilled water. That would be the best way. (Again, ask on the discussion board as I don't have experience and for me, it would be too expensive.)

Hopefully I've given you some ideas. Maybe you can get your tank cooled without buying an expensive chiller. Lol. Then you can have a bit more choice!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back