Is my Molly pregnant?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

matchamochi

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
Could anyone help me out and tell me if my mollies are pregnant? I got them a few days ago and am new to keeping mollies so I'm unsure. Also, would anyone have a clue as to how far along they are/when they might give birth if they are pregnant?
Disclaimer: I gently popped them in a ziplock bag to grab a clear photo of them. Of course, they do not live in a ziplock bag lol.
Thanks so much!
99436654_973853276362393_4937029615005728768_n.jpg
99423832_660225428168791_8160613530857373696_n.jpg
100989269_2608658666043918_3754998557233381376_n.jpg

All but one look to be, not sure if they're the same fish in the different pics, but the one in the background is the skinniest and probably not pregnant at the moment. If they have been in a tank with a male at any point in the last 10 or so months they are almost 100% gonna be pregnant. They can store sperm for up to 10 months so can have multiple pregnancies for awhile after being separated.

Make sure you have a large enough tank for someone to give the fry to or your tank may become overrun in a couple months.

All but one look to be, not sure if they're the same fish in the different pics, but the one in the background is the skinniest and probably not pregnant at the moment. If they have been in a tank with a male at any point in the last 10 or so months they are almost 100% gonna be pregnant. They can store sperm for up to 10 months so can have multiple pregnancies for awhile after being separated.

Make sure you have a large enough tank for someone to give the fry to or your tank may become overrun in a couple months.
Sorry for the confusion and thanks for your advice! They are indeed the same 2 fish. Just in case they are pregnant, I've set up another tank and am currently cycling it while I figure out if they are going to have babies or not. Do you know if it is normal for the little fish to have that bump beneath the tail?

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for your advice! They are indeed the same 2 fish. Just in case they are pregnant, I've set up another tank and am currently cycling it while I figure out if they are going to have babies or not. Do you know if it is normal for the little fish to have that bump beneath the tail?
I didnt even notice that. It is definitely NOT normal. I'd suggest posting a thread in tropical emergencies so that our disease people can help out

Top fish looks pregnant/ gravid.

Bottom fish is sick and should be returned to the shop if you have only just got it.

Hello and welcome to the forum. Are you planing of keeping the fry? if so you will need a safe place for them like a fry net or another tank just for fry. I agree with @Colin_T the bottom one looks to be sick. I would try and return that one.

Top fish looks pregnant/ gravid.

Bottom fish is sick and should be returned to the shop if you have only just got it.
Thanks so much for your help! I'll look into the bottom fish and see what I can do and keep an eye on the top fish. Thanks a lot guys!

Hello and welcome to the forum. Are you planing of keeping the fry? if so you will need a safe place for them like a fry net or another tank just for fry. I agree with @Colin_T the bottom one looks to be sick. I would try and return that one.
Thanks for your advice and welcome! I am planning on keeping the fry and have had a separate tank cycling for them to live in once they are born. I also have a breeding box but for now, I'm sectioning off a part of the tank to minimize stress on the fish and give them a larger area to swim around. I'll definitely see what I can do about the bottom fish, poor thing.

I would suggest keeping the other fish well fed so they will be less likely to eat the fry. Have plenty of places for them to hide, floating plants can also help. I would use a small cup or a turkey baster to catch the fry instead of a net. Good luck. :good:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back