Is my molly a molly?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

akkacakka

Reaction score
Is my fish Candace definitely a molly cause she is is like 1.5 times the size of any other mollies I have had that are full grown, also she is just ridiculously pretty for a molly.

Attachments

• 20230129_161848.jpg
    20230129_161848.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 20230129_161804.jpg
    20230129_161804.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 32
i've seen mollies that big before, maybe she has sail fin genes? sail-fin mollies get really big, 3 -6 inches long

No, it’s a Swordtail. Females can get to 6”.

Bruh she looks like a female sailfin and a female sword tail after a quick Google. I wanna get her the right friends as she is not amused by the 2 mollies I got the other day. Imma continue looking to find a difference between them.

I don’t know if the orange on a sword and the orange on a molly are ever the exact same orange. emeraldking might know better. But with experience, the sword and the molly are a different shape, or range of shapes(?), and the face and mouth are different. It’s very subtle sometimes, but your second picture is classic swordtail.

the body colors and pattern of the fish don't appear in xiphophorus, usually the xips have more translucent fins and bodies. mollies seem more "solid" and xips have a "glow" to their color.
red-gold-wagtail-platy-fish.jpg
Xiphophorus for refrence
also, the xips are most stocky and short bodied than normal (not balloon) mollies.
35f1f50e772e57b96ee280cfeb5b209f.jpg
similar molly for refrence
you can also see that the dorsal fin is more to the back of the body of the molly

the body colors and pattern of the fish don't appear in xiphophorus, usually the xips have more translucent fins and bodies. mollies seem more "solid" and xips have a "glow" to their color.
I do have to correct this. These body colors and patterns do occur in fancy swordtail and also in fancy platies. And not all xiphos (swordtails & platies) have a glow to their color.
also, the xips are most stocky and short bodied than normal (not balloon) mollies.
Also this isn't correct. Both wild and breeding forms of swordtail, platies and mollies do differ but not necessarily the way you've described it. There are platies that have a more compact body but also a stretched body. There are swordtails that have a more compact body but also a stretched body. There are mollies that have a more compact body (no balloon mollies) and those that are more stretched.

This particular strain is called a "berlin swordtail".

I do have to correct this. These body colors and patterns do occur in fancy swordtail and also in fancy platies. And not all xiphos (swordtails & platies) have a glow to their color.

Also this isn't correct. Both wild and breeding forms of swordtail, platies and mollies do differ but not necessarily the way you've described it. There are platies that have a more compact body but also a stretched body. There are swordtails that have a more compact body but also a stretched body. There are mollies that have a more compact body (no balloon mollies) and those that are more stretched.

Thank you I shall get her some swordtail friends soon when my local fish shop has some. :)

thanks for correcting me!
I feel like these swordtails also have translucent fins though

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back