FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Rad.banana23

Reaction score
I was looking at my fish today and felt like itā€™s stomach looks like itā€™s big and need to know if Iā€™m going to need to watch out for babies so I can separate them when theyā€™re born so they donā€™t get eaten. Iā€™m wondering if anyone is able to tell! Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• E7FD61BD-F457-41AF-BE6A-9B45B829FC42.jpeg
    E7FD61BD-F457-41AF-BE6A-9B45B829FC42.jpeg
    270.3 KB · Views: 1,345
I was looking at my fish today and felt like itā€™s stomach looks like itā€™s big and need to know if Iā€™m going to need to watch out for babies so I can separate them when theyā€™re born so they donā€™t get eaten. Iā€™m wondering if anyone is able to tell! Thank you for your help!
yes it is

I would like to see another photo, please
if we get a beter photo we can tell if its bloated or really pregnant

Attachments

• 9B83182B-3D68-472A-992B-B83BE5B83B06.jpeg
    9B83182B-3D68-472A-992B-B83BE5B83B06.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 4088900D-5F6B-4566-8975-B261B504770A.jpeg
    4088900D-5F6B-4566-8975-B261B504770A.jpeg
    201.6 KB · Views: 74
  • 591F88A8-9FC6-4A50-99BD-7EA9AFF7BCAA.jpeg
    591F88A8-9FC6-4A50-99BD-7EA9AFF7BCAA.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 80
i think it is. she needs to wait a while befre she drops
also your platy is a red wag platy not a mickey mouse platy
View attachment 126755mickey mouses have the little mouse face near theur tail
Okay cool! Well thanks for your help and thanks for correcting that I wasnā€™t sure which one it was so thatā€™s helpful!

Okay cool! Well thanks for your help and thanks for correcting that I wasnā€™t sure which one it was so thatā€™s helpful!
actually wait, shes partially micky mouse but not completely, there is a small pattern near her tail, so i would say mostly wag platy, a little mickey mouse wagplaty

Any platy that has shared water with a male at any point in the last 6 months is going to be gravid.

Platies reproduce using the "quantity, not quality" method. Trying to save them will lead to you being overrun with platies very quickly. Each female that you have will drop 30 or so fry every month. Those fry will reach sexual maturity with 3-4 months. Any males will then get every single female (including its mother) gravid again. The population will explode, and you will end up with more fish than water.

It is far better to let nature take its course, you will probably end up with a few fry surviving to maturity.

Any platy that has shared water with a male at any point in the last 6 months is going to be gravid.

Platies reproduce using the "quantity, not quality" method. Trying to save them will lead to you being overrun with platies very quickly. Each female that you have will drop 30 or so fry every month. Those fry will reach sexual maturity with 3-4 months. Any males will then get every single female (including its mother) gravid again. The population will explode, and you will end up with more fish than water.

It is far better to let nature take its course, you will probably end up with a few fry surviving to maturity.
Thank you for all the information!!! Very helpful! Iā€™m a new fish owner so I really appreciate all your knowledge :)

I got her from the pet store about 2 weeks ago and went back and asked and they said they keep it coed! Thanks for the help :)
Female platies are able to store sperm packets from males, and use them to keep reproducing for around 6 months.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back