Is my guppy pregnant?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Patrícia Gouveia

Reaction score
Hello!! I bought 2 guppys (one female and one male) about 3 weeks from today and I noticed her belly getting bigger but she's also always eating so I cant really tell if she's pregnant, fat or sick. Can you please help me?
1573435458777-845975247.jpg
1573435650725-129434668.jpg
1573435689135-1338272428.jpg

Female livebearers will always be at some stage of pregnancy if they've been anywhere near a male during the last 6 months (females can store sperm and have fry for up to 6 months even without a male in the tank). As you have a male and female, you can expect fry every month.

I think the question has been answered for you, in that yes she's pregnant, but I wanted to just add one other comment.

If you've only got one male and one female, you should seriously consider getting a couple more females otherwise this male is just going to harass her constantly, which could lead to her death.

Males are always on the lookout for females so if you have 3-4 females per male then there are other females to distract him and spread his advances around and the females will be much less stressed.

Thank you so much!! I will get 2 more females to the tank! Can she delay giving birth because the male is always arrassing her? He's always arround her

Be warned - that will result in 100s of fry. Just so you know.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back