Is my guppy male or female?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FunnelCreator

Reaction score
I have a difficult time identifying my guppies genders sometimes. Can someone help me identify this one? This is my first time on this forum so I hope this isn’t the wrong place to post.
E3B5C88F-E02D-4BAD-BBA0-D9015AA25454.jpeg

If you need a better picture let me know!

Are you sure? Ive had 4 people tell me its a female. Whats the difference? Ive watched videos but none of them really get to the point.
males have a Gonopodium
1658543635341.png
see that long rolled up fin? that is a gonopodium and yours has one (this one is bred to have an exaggerated one)
1658543682067.png
females have these features

Males have a long straight anal (bottom) fin called a gonopodium.

Females have a fan/ triangle shaped anal fin.

Your fish is a male.

Young males can have a fan shaped anal fin but it changes to the gonopodium when they reach sexual maturity.

image-2ec812cc33958116c0eb5af9dd0fd8f9_v_1452609010.jpeg.jpg

Hope this helps...

Males are usually more colourful and streamlined, females are usually rounder in the belly with a dark (gravid) spot near the butt. Females are usually duller in colour with more pigment in the caudal fin (tail)

Are you sure? Ive had 4 people tell me its a female. Whats the difference? Ive watched videos but none of them really get to the point.
Well, sorry to say but those 4 people are wrong. It's a very slender male. And maybe some more food will get him a better shape.

the time i had one of these lyretails he was also very thin and lived for a very long time, maybe they are just built thinner?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back