Is my guppy male or female?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

GreenGuy

Reaction score
I got it accidentally from a friend who breeds guppyā€™s when it was only a week old so he couldnā€™t sex it. it survived moving tanks about 3 times and iā€™m interested so i can get a few more and they wonā€™t breed
722843CE-E2A0-4854-BD0A-22FF49840887.jpeg

FYI, to tell the difference between male and female is that usually the male is smaller and has pointed corners of the tail. The female is usually larger and has more "curved" tail corners. Males also have larger tails and a brighter in coloration.

The best way to tell is by looking at the anal fin. In a female it is the usual fan shape. In a mature male it is rod shaped. However juvenile males all look like females as the fin only changes shape at puberty.

Females are usually duller in colour with a gravid spot, males are more impressively coloured with a pointed anal fin

FYI, to tell the difference between male and female is that usually the male is smaller and has pointed corners of the tail. The female is usually larger and has more "curved" tail corners. Males also have larger tails and a brighter in coloration.
This goes only for the anal fin. Not the other fins. There are guppy strains where both genders have a pointy or rounded edged dorsal.
Females are usually duller in colour with a gravid spot, males are more impressively coloured with a pointed anal fin
Good thing you mentioned "usually". For there are guppy females that are pretty colorful.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back