Is my gray platy pregnant? Please help!!😅

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AmelieSmith

Reaction score
Please help! I got this platy but didn't know if it was a boy or girl. I know it's a girl due to anal fin but I think she may be pregnant! What should I do to keep the babies alive if she is pregnant and how far along is she!

Attachments

• SAVE_20221226_222732.jpg
    SAVE_20221226_222732.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 3,917
That is a female platy, the darkness behind the abdomen indicates that she is pregnant, and adding floating plants will help you keep some babies alive. As far as when you can expect babies, don't hold your breath, but prepare for them at any moment. Your fish doesn't look ready to drop babies, but conditions--like temperature and diet--affect the time period. Get some plants and other hiding places in the tank in the next couple weeks to be ready.

Please help! I got this platy but didn't know if it was a boy or girl. I know it's a girl due to anal fin but I think she may be pregnant! What should I do to keep the babies alive if she is pregnant and how far along is she!
I have another male platy in the tank. If she isn't pregnant now will she be soon?

Yes she is pregnant. With a male in the tank it’s likely she will give birth roughly every 30 days, I’d recommend adding some more females so the male doesn’t stress her with constant mating. Add floating plants so the babies can hide, and keep the water clean with regular water changes to help them grow and not get sick

I got a new platy and asked for a boy since I have another boy but I was given a girl and she is pregnant. I have I birthing box since I want to keep the fry alive but should I put her in it yet? The male does keep following her around and annoying her. But please can someone tell me if she is squared of?? When should I expect fry!!

I got a new platy and asked for a boy since I have another boy but I was given a girl and she is pregnant. I have I birthing box since I want to keep the fry alive but should I put her in it yet? The male does keep following her around and annoying her. But please can someone tell me if she is squared of?? When should I expect fry!!
This is her:

Attachments

• IMG_20221228_205041.jpg
    IMG_20221228_205041.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 19
Is my platy ready to give birth? Should I put her I'm the birthing tank?

Attachments

• IMG_20221228_205042.jpg
    IMG_20221228_205042.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 18
All the other fish are chasing her and won't leave her alone I really need to separate her.

Male platies tend to constantly pester female platies. That's why it is good to have multiple fish in a tank to allow individuals to get a break. If you have plants or other hiding places, though, it shouldn't be a problem. I have a male molly that tends to bother one female until she turns around and chases him, and she has plenty of places to get a break from him when necessary. Your female doesn't really look like she is ready to give birth--though that isn't a guarantee--so separating her in a tiny isolation tank would probably be more stressful than leaving her in.

When you say birthing tank, do you mean a proper tank or one of those tiny boxes/nets? If it's a tank, then yes you can move her, carefully. Catch her in a net then use a container of some sort and bring that up under the net still in the tank so that she is in water all the time during the transfer. If you lift the net out of the tank when it's not in a container of water the pressure of her body against the net can harm her and the fry.
But if you mean a tiny box or net, those are very stressful for the fish. The best way to use those is to let the female give birth in the main tank then catch the fry and put them in the box/net.
If you do mean a box or net, can you separate one end of the tank to keep her away from the other fish? Those sheets of plastic craft mesh can be used for this.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back