Is my fry big enough

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Beth_obrien2424

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So Iā€™m not sure if this is in the right place. I wasnā€™t sure where to put it. I had a molly give birth and I saved a few of the fry. The problem is that I have angelfish in the same tank. Theyā€™re still relatively small (picture attached) and I was wondering if this fry looks big enough to not be eaten by the angels. They look bigger than them obviously but I wasnā€™t sure about mouth size

Attachments

• E919FD22-8A2E-4F96-B81D-FA7FE205F894.jpeg
    E919FD22-8A2E-4F96-B81D-FA7FE205F894.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 61
It really depends on what is going on in the tank and the Angelfish, how many Angels are present? tank size? are there any other smaller fish in the tank with them? I have 2 angelfish in a large 200L tank with lots of plant cover but they have grown up with smaller fish and only ever try to eat very young fry, anything bigger than a cm is left alone, they are twice the size of your angel and wouldn't touch your mollie at that size. I wouldn't risk it however, if you only have angels in that tank and your tank is small as they will be drawn to them, the one in the photo looks like it's waiting for the fish! it's your call though, you can try and be ready with a net if the angel goes on a hunting spree but you will have to be quick!

It really depends on what is going on in the tank and the Angelfish, how many Angels are present? tank size? are there any other smaller fish in the tank with them? I have 2 angelfish in a large 200L tank with lots of plant cover but they have grown up with smaller fish and only ever try to eat very young fry, anything bigger than a cm is left alone, they are twice the size of your angel and wouldn't touch your mollie at that size. I wouldn't risk it however, if you only have angels in that tank and your tank is small as they will be drawn to them, the one in the photo looks like it's waiting for the fish! it's your call though, you can try and be ready with a net if the angel goes on a hunting spree but you will have to be quick!
I have a good mixture of fish. I have angels, mollies, guppyā€™s, cardinals, something that looks like a tiger barb but isnā€™t (canā€™t remember the name) and female swordtails. I only have two angelfish and they are so friendly and peaceful towards the other fish I put in, however they have never been this small. They donā€™t spend all of their time looking into that tank, only after feeding time. I think theyā€™re more wondering why they canā€™t get to the food in the box.
Iā€™m just worried because Iā€™ve never had anything this tiny in there

In that case then they should be safe, I would feed the fish at the time of release though so they are distracted whilst the mollies get their bearings and keep the tank light off, do it when you are around so you can watch their reaction, if they start to chase the mollies into hiding then I would get them out but if they ignore them when they swim close by then they should be ok just keep an eye!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back