FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Dc5191

Reaction score
Is my fish pregnant, she says away from the males, eats hardly anything, hides, doesn’t do much swimming, lives with three males (1male platy and 2 Male guppies) and unknown sex of Otocinclus

Attachments

• 99B220DD-A629-40FD-A36C-0A85A9F49427.jpeg
    99B220DD-A629-40FD-A36C-0A85A9F49427.jpeg
    106.1 KB · Views: 95
  • F9BF9112-54AA-47BD-8CBE-B8F6C901AD08.jpeg
    F9BF9112-54AA-47BD-8CBE-B8F6C901AD08.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 4B629D8B-B3D3-433D-95E2-7FEDA9EE2B3A.jpeg
    4B629D8B-B3D3-433D-95E2-7FEDA9EE2B3A.jpeg
    143.8 KB · Views: 91
  • D0D72071-B4EB-463E-B144-85DDF5699472.jpeg
    D0D72071-B4EB-463E-B144-85DDF5699472.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 92
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 78
The red and black fish in the pictures is a male platy and is either stressed out from the other male platy, or the water quality isn't good.

Check the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and GH of the tank water.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a week.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

------------------
How long has the tank been set up for?
What sort of filter do you have on the tank?
How often and how do you clean the filter?
Can you post a picture of the entire tank?

Fish was sold as being female. The water has been tested by the pet store and I have used my own testing strips daily since setting the tank up over a week ago. All of the other fish are completely fine in my opinion. I use a marina 360 tank which came with filter. I rinse the filters every couple of days.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 80
Is this the 10 litre tank? If it is, it's far too small for the fish you have, I'm afraid. I don't know of any fish which can be kept in 10 litres (2.6 gallons) except perhaps a betta, though 20 litres is a better size for bettas.
Guppies need a tank at least 45 cm long; platies need a tank 60 cm long. Otocinclus need to be in a group of at least 6 in a tank which has enough algae to feed a group. The best thing you can do for these fish is to buy a tank at least 60 cm long, something around 60 litres or larger.

Female platies have a triangular anal fin. Your platy may possibly be a female with clamped fins so that the anal fin looks like a male's gonopodium. Clamped fins are a symptom of stress, and being in such a small tank will cause stress. As will any ammonia and/or nitrite in the water.

My tank is 10 gallons, the pet store said this would be fine for the fish I have bought. I’m pleased you have mentioned about the Otocinclus because no one told me that at the store!

Are you sure it's 10 gallons? Google only find 10 litre tanks under the name Marina 360 :huh: Even the hit which has 10 gallons in the heading says it has a 2.65 gallon tank.......

What are the dimensions, to confirm whether it's litres or gallons.

Oh my goodness I have made such a terrible mistake I only seen gal-10 instead of the whole thing 2.65US GAL 10L

the pet store said this would be fine for the fish I have bought.
The most important lesson in fishkeeping is don't believe anything the store tells you. Most of them don't have a clue and will say anything to make a sale. Most of us have made mistakes by listening to the store :(

Don't be sad, learn from it. The majority of us on here had bad advice from fish stores when we first started keeping fish.
Once you know that stores give poor advice, that's half the battle. The other half is finding somewhere that gives good advice. This forum has many members who have kept many different fish between us all. Yes, you will get different opinions on here, but take all the advice, look elsewhere as well and decide which advice to take.
For fish, just about the best information site out there is Seriously Fish https://www.seriouslyfish.com/knowledge-base/ Anyone can set up a website with little knowledge, but this site is written by experts. The fish profiles tell you the type of water a species needs; the minimum tank size; what it eats; suggestions for suitable tank mates; other quirks a species might have which need to be considered etc

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back