Is My Fish Ill Or Just Fat? [+Hi Res Pics]

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I wouldn't use antibiotics at all for : A : dropsy isn't contagious in most cases (the ones that are are mostly coldwater types in ponds) B antibiotics will kill your filter bacteria as well : your tank will have to be cycled again. C As I said many gouramis are infected with a virus that can lead to these problems. Sorry for your fish but it sure is best to euthanise it.

Sadly I agree. He's looking even more ill today and staying near the top in the corner. What's a good humane way?

There are several ways, my preferred method is clove oil.

From badmanstropical:

#1. Clove oil:
Of all of the methods I have read about or heard about this one is the most painless for the fish and the fish keeper combined. Most of my information on this method is courtesy of RTR via the boards.
Clove oil can be mixed in water, the recommendation from RTR is 1-3 drops per liter of water, mixed well , and then the fish placed in it. Clove oil will anesthesize the fish, and a little more will make it permanent. If I understand RTR correctly if the fish is left in the clove oil even at 1-3 drops per liter, it will eventually prove fatal. In other words fish that are being anesthesized for other reasons should not be left in the clove oil mix for any length of time after they go to sleep.
While studying this method I found the recommendation in several places to mix the clove oil with Vodka so it would mix with the water well. Vodka is an irritant to fish, and thus makes this method far less humane. Furthermore when I questioned RTR about possibly using clove oil in the tank for netting purposes. He made it very clear that clove oil is stable, and could not be removed without a 100% water change. So based on the fact that RTR and others who use this for anesthesia don?t recommend vodka, and clove oil can?t be removed, it would stand to reason that the vodka is not necessary, and shouldn?t be used as it will cause discomfort. Just mix the clove oil well in the first place. The only folks I have seen who debated clove oil as being inhumane were folks who assumed it was used with vodka. Vodka is the problem, not the clove oil, according to my research.
The only downside to clove oil is cost. I can?t imagine that the cost is very high, and wouldn?t think that it would be an issue. However there will be methods discussed later that are just as humane for the fish although a bit harder on the fish keeper, and cost nothing. Clove oil is available in the toothache section of most pharmacies.

Ok thankyou this seems excellent advice. I will get some clove oil, & mix using the above proportions with 25 degree water. That's providing nothing improves and no-one recommends against this action by tomorrow evening.

There are no chemists open at 8pm in my town. What would you recommend?

Honestly, I don't think it would be too bad if you let it wait till tomorrow. If you really don't want to, though, you can try another method. Net the fish and SLAM it against a really hard surface. A bit graphic but it works and is painless.

There are no chemists open at 8pm in my town. What would you recommend? Re:
DoubleDutch said:
Don't let it suffer that long !!!

Also the other (the only other) fish of the same species, although not bloated, has been swimming at the top of the tank for several hours. All other species are behaving normally.

I'd appreciate a second opinion on using antibiotics (after one user recommended 'no'.)

Would antibiotics present any risk to the rest of the tank?

Perhaps it is the virus that effects this breed and therefore antibiotics wouldn' t help?

I'd appreciate any advice from anyone with reliable experience for the benefit of the fish.

The bloated fish is definitely very ill. The 2nd of the breed may be saved but I have no 2nd tank.. he's swimming around a bit now but I'm monitoring his behaviour.

CoryLover95 said:
Honestly, I don't think it would be too bad if you let it wait till tomorrow. If you really don't want to, though, you can try another method. Net the fish and SLAM it against a really hard surface. A bit graphic but it works and is painless.
God thats tough.. The fish is looking ill and very very bloate now though. I'll wait and see if others agree before doing anything as extreme as that. I understand the idea though from having talked to fishermen in he past.. Supposed to be painless. I'll give it an hour to see any other opinions and be as certain as I can that it's the right thing.

Really appreciate the help.

No problem. There used to be a thread about different methods of euthanization but I think it got too old. You could start a new one.

I will probably euthanize using the above knockout method, then, tomorrow, add some melafix antibiotics as I see no harm.

I'll change water tomorrow, this will be a good time to add the melafix in with treated water. (It's 10pm now.)

Just concermed about the other fish. This could be caused by virus or bacteria apparently. Does seem to only affect the one species so I understand it my be a virus. Ideally require more than one opinion though.

Starved tank for 36hrs and fed peas, slightly softened.

The catfish thought they were great.. Most fish had a nibble but sick fish was very slow.. He/she(??) seems to have trouble staying low as you would expect. He still swims around the tank though. Both the gourimi seem to go to get air from the top of tank more than the rest recently. Hm. The 2nd one swims very fast though and has no problem scouring floor.

Gouramis are labyrinth fish, so that's just a natural part of their behavior, different from the other fish.  Nothing there at all unusual.

I feel for you, because you obviously really care about this fish.  I can't tell you what the correct course of action is.  Its a difficult decision to have to decide whether or not to treat a pet, or put it down.  I've had to make it, and its not easy.  I've never had to deal with it due to dropsy, thankfully. Dropsy is not a specific illness, but this looks like a severe bloating issue.  Its hard to tell from the pics exactly how severe it is, but there definitely is some "pineconing" going on.

Thanks eagles, and all others.

He's not eating the peas and at this advanced state prognosis doesn't look good. Have some clove oil now.. The bloating is severe and pineconing is very evident. He's spending more time low in the tank though.. which is a good sign?

The melafix antibiotics were added some hours ago. The only thing stopping me is the thought that the antibiotics / starve / peas may work over the next days. I have no idea if this much bloating is going to cause permanent discomfort for the fish even if it is cured.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back