Is my fish female or male?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CazM

Reaction score
Hi sorry new to here, long story about how the fish we thought was Male may have been pregnant.... I have 5 Molly fish we got for my son's first pet. We got 3 at first and then 2 more at a later date. The first 3 the employee didn't seem to fussed to tell us the gender of the fish and we just looked at pictures online when we came home and came to the conclusion they were all male so we made sure that the 2 we later got were male too. Today I was giving the tank a more thorough clean and transferred the fish over to a spare tank to clean through all the stones etc. When I was emptying the current tank in the bath I saw a little tiny thing and it seemed to be 'swimming' the opposite direction, it was very small orange with what looked like eyes and black tail that looked so thin as if it was little hairs but wiggling as if a tail does. I quickly tried to put a filter in the plug hole to get it but it was so small it slipped through. My partner thinks it could have just been a bit of fluff but I had never saw a baby molly fish before and when I googled it it looked exactly like what I saw. The fish I believe to have been pregnant is the one attached. It's a balloon Molly and even though it has a big belly it has been bigger over the past days. Almost 3 times this size. Yesterday and the day before I noticed 'he' would not come straight up for like normal and when randomly looking at it would be hiding under a tunnel or behind a decoration. I assumed it was unwell or just resting. So can you please put my mind to rest and could that have been a baby molly fish I saw? If you need any better pictures let me know. This picture was taken at the time of post after its belly had significantly reduced from the last few days.

Thank you so much.

Attachments

• 20200530_182308.jpg
    20200530_182308.jpg
    965 KB · Views: 585
Yep thats a female. Lyretails have longer anal fins so its hard to tell sometimes with them.

Personally, you may have some issues with keeping 4 males to 1 female. Shes gonna be very stressed out and it would be good to either switch her out for a male, or manage a way to keep the ratio to 1 male to 2 females.

Personally, you may have some issues with keeping 4 males to 1 female. Shes gonna be very stressed out and it would be good to either switch her out for a male, or manage a way to keep the ratio to 1 male to 2 females.
Yep, I agree. Males will constantly harass the female and she'll get stressed out.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back