Is My Dwarf Puffer Getting Enough To Eat?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Noahsfish

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My recently empty 10 gallon tank now houses a single dwarf puffer...very hard to find through all my plants. Anyways I've had him for about 5 days now and I've tried feeding him a few bloodworms via clear tube. Haven't seen him take notice at all, and I end up vacuuming them all up.....I even tried massively over feeding just to see if he was interested at all, and nothing! He glances at me out of the corner of his eye then sneaks into one of his caves....water params are stable, I do 20% every other day. He's a very small guy, and I'm thinking he could be full from snails? I dropped about 10 in there when I first got him. He's soooooo small though, don't know if he could tackle most of those snails. A bit worried as it has been a while and he refuses flakes, pellets, bloodworms, brine shrimp, and I even tried putting in 10 or so baby shrimps, and he ignores them...

Noahsfish said:
My recently empty 10 gallon tank now houses a single dwarf puffer...very hard to find through all my plants. Anyways I've had him for about 5 days now and I've tried feeding him a few bloodworms via clear tube. Haven't seen him take notice at all, and I end up vacuuming them all up.....I even tried massively over feeding just to see if he was interested at all, and nothing! He glances at me out of the corner of his eye then sneaks into one of his caves....water params are stable, I do 20% every other day. He's a very small guy, and I'm thinking he could be full from snails? I dropped about 10 in there when I first got him. He's soooooo small though, don't know if he could tackle most of those snails. A bit worried as it has been a while and he refuses flakes, pellets, bloodworms, brine shrimp, and I even tried putting in 10 or so baby shrimps, and he ignores them...

Dont fret. he probaly ate the snails one day at a time. just put more in everyday. And you could add 1 more to the tank you know. they are mildy aggresive but quite sociall

Noahsfish said:
20% water changes every other day, sounds like a too often. Although puffers are sensitive to nitrates, 20% once a week sound be ideal. If he's not eating you may want to check him for IPs (internal parasites), if he's infected he'll look slim.
Pea puffers are a bit shy, so just try feeding snails only for now. You should crush the snails before tossing them in, that way their blood will attract your puffers attention.

like ^^ said, try adding another to the tank.  I housed two dwarf puffers a couple years ago and they both got along great and enjoyed the company. 

they were out swimming frequently and were very cool fish.  Almost like puppys lol. 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back