FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

PepperedCoryDORAs

Reaction score
Hi,
2 days ago I got some peppered corydoras - one of them died before I even got to drop acclimate them. The other two are doing well in the tank. I called pets at home and they said I could come get a new cory. Iā€™ve just brought him home today and noticed his fins are a bit ā€˜tearedā€™ ? Not sure if that is the right word. Iā€™ve added a picture of the new fish and the old one so you can compare. Should I take him back or is it fine? He also has a little white spot on his head - not sure whether thatā€™s just his patterning as Iā€™ve never kept corydoras before. Thank you šŸ™

Attachments

• 7FA0B288-BA63-42AF-A220-B79424E075BA.png
    7FA0B288-BA63-42AF-A220-B79424E075BA.png
    453.3 KB · Views: 40
  • F2E7C6E2-FFF8-49BC-B1C0-D3A0CFEF65AF.png
    F2E7C6E2-FFF8-49BC-B1C0-D3A0CFEF65AF.png
    313.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 5F2DBDDF-DE06-4C8F-BB1D-AC14BE36EE31.png
    5F2DBDDF-DE06-4C8F-BB1D-AC14BE36EE31.png
    444.7 KB · Views: 47
The damaged fins should heal up by themselves if the water is clean.

The white dot on the dorsal (top) fin is not normal but could be colouration. Although peppered Corydoras don't normally have a white spot there.
Can you see if the white spot/patch is sticking out from the body/ fin at all?
If it isn't, then it's hopefully just unusual colouration.

I would monitor the fish and if the white spot changes then post more pictures.

If the fins get red around the edge they are infected with bacteria and salt or a broad spectrum fish medication (not antibiotics) can be used.

If the fins get white fluffy bits, that is either Saprolegnia fungus or excess mucous. Post a picture asap. Fungus can be treated with salt. Excess mucous is dealt with by doing a 75% water change and gravel cleaning the substrate every day for a week.

Thank you, this was super helpful. I donā€™t believe the spot is sticking out but if it was, what do you think it could be?

If the white spot is sticking out from the body like a small raised bump, it could be white spot (Ichthyophthirius). If the white dot disappears in a couple of days then that would also suggest white spot. However, it doesn't look raised in the pictures so hopefully it's just colouration.

If it does turn out to be white spot (I don't think it will), you can treat it by raising the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keeping it there for 2 weeks, or at least 1 week after all the white spots have gone. No chemicals needed, just raise the temp. However, if it does disappear, post another picture and let us know and we can give you more info on treating it.

Personally I'd bring it back. You're given a fosh with issues and they made their problem yours. Still be aware it might have introduced Ich to the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back