Is my Cory injured or is it something else?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Nichola_C

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Good evening,
Can anyone give me any advice on what is up with my Cory. I have 3 and this is only on one. He/she seems fine, happy and eating normally, but has a dig out of his side. Could it just be hes swam into something or is there any other diseases or illness with Cory's that I need to know about. Fairly new to the fish game.

Ammonia and nitrite is zero. Weekly 30ltr water changes, water left in container from tap for 24hrs prior to change
Fed on mealworm and bloodworm pellets and shrimp bites.
I have 10 black widow tetra (EDITED - 10 Phantom tetra not black widow), 3 Rosie barbs, 3 Cory and 5 zebra snails. 123L fuval tank, big bog wood, no real plants (yet...thats next on my to do list)
The barbs are abit aggressive when food in the tank, im actually thinking of giving them away for a calmer tank.
Only new thing in the tank is the 5 snails ? last week

Attachments

• 20210308_201842.jpg
    20210308_201842.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210308_201903.jpg
    20210308_201903.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210308_201925.jpg
    20210308_201925.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20210308_201235.jpg
    20210308_201235.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210308_204650.jpg
    20210308_204650.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Does the white spot appear to stick out from the fish or is it fluffy?
If not then it's probably a wound that should heal up by itself.

You can do a big daily water change for a week to help dilute any disease organisms and give the fish the best chance of healing.

Monitor the spot and if it gets worse, post more pics asap.

--------------------
Weekly 30ltr water changes, water left in container from tap for 24hrs prior to change
Do you have chlorine or chloramine in your tap water?
Contact your water company via telephone or website to find out this information.

Do you use a dechlorinator in the tap water before adding it to the tank?

If you have chlorine in the tap water, you can aerate it for 24 hours and the chlorine will come out by itself.

If you have chloramine (a mixture of chlorine and ammonia) in the tap water, you need to add a dechlorinator that breaks the chlorine/ ammonia bond, neutralises the chlorine, and binds with the ammonia to make it less harmful while the filters remove the ammonia from the tank water. If you have chloramine and don't add a dechlorinator, you can kill the fish.

Leaving tap water to stand in a bucket for 24 hours will not remove chloramine and you need to add a dechlorinator and mix it in with the tap water a few minutes before you use it, if you have chloramine in your water supply.

--------------------
I have 10 black widow tetra
I don't see any black widow/ skirt tetras but you do have black phantom tetras in the tank, they are a lovely fish :)

Yes, it looks like a wound to me. Clean water is the best treatment.

Does the white spot appear to stick out from the fish or is it fluffy?
If not then it's probably a wound that should heal up by itself.

You can do a big daily water change for a week to help dilute any disease organisms and give the fish the best chance of healing.

Monitor the spot and if it gets worse, post more pics asap.

--------------------

Do you have chlorine or chloramine in your tap water?
Contact your water company via telephone or website to find out this information.

Do you use a dechlorinator in the tap water before adding it to the tank?

If you have chlorine in the tap water, you can aerate it for 24 hours and the chlorine will come out by itself.

If you have chloramine (a mixture of chlorine and ammonia) in the tap water, you need to add a dechlorinator that breaks the chlorine/ ammonia bond, neutralises the chlorine, and binds with the ammonia to make it less harmful while the filters remove the ammonia from the tank water. If you have chloramine and don't add a dechlorinator, you can kill the fish.

Leaving tap water to stand in a bucket for 24 hours will not remove chloramine and you need to add a dechlorinator and mix it in with the tap water a few minutes before you use it, if you have chloramine in your water supply.

--------------------

I don't see any black widow/ skirt tetras but you do have black phantom tetras in the tank, they are a lovely fish :)
OK wow I will look into the chlroamine, I just leave the water for 24 hours as I heard that gets rid of chlorine, I didnt know about chlroamine. However I do not have any readings with ammonia in my tank. I always do a water check 30/60 mins after a change ?

I don't know what you mean...my post says black phantom, who mentioned black widow (wink wink ?) hahah yes I do like them ?

Last edited:
OK wow I will look into the chrolamine, I just leave the water for 24 hours as I heard that gets rid of chlorine, I didnt know about chrolamine. However I do not have any readings with ammonia in my tank. I always do a water check 30/60 mins after a change.

Awww yes black phantom tetra, thats what I meant hahah yes I do like them ?
No the white spot doesn't stick out, it looks like a hole/dig. Definitely doesn't stick out and isn't fluffy.

Yes, it looks like a wound to me. Clean water is the best treatment.
Thank you, I will keep doing daily water changes till it heals up. Poor little fella.
Would you recommend getting rid of the barbs, I already had them in a separate tank on their own and moved them into here when I stared the tank. But they seem to eat all the food and are always chasing and fighting with each other.

The rosy barbs should be fine and I would keep them. They are an excitable fish that like the chase each other. If you have 5 or 6 or more of them, they normally keep each other occupied and leave everyone else alone.

The rosy barbs should be fine and I would keep them. They are an excitable fish that like the chase each other. If you have 5 or 6 or more of them, they normally keep each other occupied and leave everyone else alone.
Yes they don't chase the other fish i guess, just each other. However the other day wow they were fighting with each other, have never seen them like that, all 3 round and round in circles nipping each other, all day, then it stopped. Guess they was just re sorting their pecking order
I did have 4, but the LFS sold me 3 male and one female, before I knew the golder ones were female and they just harrased the poor thing ....Randy buggers, so I took her back months ago

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back