Is my “Cory catfish” a mislabeled Bristlenose Pleco?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

YewBush

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Almost a year ago, I had decided to get a Cory catfish for my tank. At the pet store, I found a fish labeled “albino Cory catfish.” I did not do much research and did not know exactly how they looked. Yesterday, I decided to get some more catfish to start a shoal. When I looked for some Cory catfish, I realized that none of the pictures looked like my fish, Alabaster.
Later, I was browsing YouTube and found a video on betta tank mates. One of the fish listed was a Bristlenose Pleco. They looked almost exactly like my fish. Eventually, I looked up “albino Bristlenose Pleco,” and the pictures looked a lot like my fish, too. I then looked up “albino Cory catfish,” and the picture looked nothing like my fish. The fish I got is in a 20 gallon with a betta and a snail, which I’m guessing is too small for a Pleco. If my fish is a Pleco, what should I do? C0C8177F-0B07-4A97-AFE9-D680D3C11DA1.jpeg

Attachments

• 1BAB9040-D852-4912-99E2-77998DDC38B7.jpeg
    1BAB9040-D852-4912-99E2-77998DDC38B7.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 79
Yep, that's a bristlenose plecostomus. They don't get very big (very different from the common pleco, which is too big for just about any home aquarium). I'd say they're marginal in a 20 gallon, but probably OK if it's well set-up and not densely stocked.

Yep, that's a bristlenose plecostomus. They don't get very big (very different from the common pleco, which is too big for just about any home aquarium). I'd say they're marginal in a 20 gallon, but probably OK if it's well set-up and not densely stocked.

Okay. Thank you for the help!

Wow a pet shop that labeled a bristlenose as a Cory catfish, I’ve heard it all now!! She is beautiful, you don’t need to do much just make sure she is feed algae waffles, fruit and veggies etc for a good diet. I have a handsome albino male, he is my little guy.

Last edited:
Wow a pet shop that labeled a bristlenose as a Cory catfish, I’ve heard it all now!! She is beautiful, you don’t need to do much just make sure she is feed algae waffles, fruit and veggies etc for a good diet. I have a handsome albino male, he is my little guy.

Thank you, I’ll try giving her a cucumber today.

I think I ended up with the Pleco because I had gotten the largest “Cory catfish.” I had a large betta who had never been with another fish and ate anything that fit into her mouth, so I didn’t want to risk a smaller one. Also, she was young and completely white when I got her, hence the name.

Alabaster is a pretty perfect name! I have no talent for picking names. I'm tempted to upload a photo of my favourite guppy that I'm still wrangling over a name for, and see if you have any suggestions! Also welcome to the forum, I'm new as well :)

Alabaster is a pretty perfect name! I have no talent for picking names. I'm tempted to upload a photo of my favourite guppy that I'm still wrangling over a name for, and see if you have any suggestions! Also welcome to the forum, I'm new as well :)

Thank you! My brother actually came up with that name. However, when I name fish, I usually look up names of flowers, gemstones, rocks, etc. that are the same color as my fish, or I look up synonyms for one of their personality traits.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back