Is my blue crawfish dead?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tios23

Reaction score
image.jpg
Recently I bought a blue crawfish and it’s very active but one morning I saw it was on its back not moving but the antennas were I was worried that the other blue crawfish in the tank had attacked it or something or if it was moulting. it was fine in the night but in the morning it was like that I’m scared is it dead or not?

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Carefully pick it up and see if it moves. If it doesn't move, it's probably dead.

You should also check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate to remove anything in the water that might have caused the crayfish to die.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

I just picked it up and it started moving again and I just noticed that it’s missing a leg what does this mean?

Either something bit it or it got caught. They’ll usually grow back. Are giving them calcium supplements?

Does my other blue lobster have something to do with it?

Does my other blue lobster have something to do with it?
I don’t know. Are you giving them calcium? If needed t, drop 1/4 if a Tums in each week. That will help with calcium.

The other crayfish might have had a go at the injured one. Most injuries occur when they moult so one might have moulted and the other tried to attack it.

Make sure you have plenty of hiding places in there so they both have a cave to live in. Have the caves at opposite ends of the tank so they are as far apart as possible.

Do lots of water changes to keep the water clean and feed them a varied diet that includes plant matter.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back