Is my black neon tetra pregnant?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Ok but I should separate right? I read up on it. Most of what I have read says, 'a separate breeding tank is better to ensure the survival of the fry' and 'black neons do not have any parenting skills and should be removed after the eggs have been laid'.
I think that what @itiwhetu is trying to convey is that to successfully breed fish, any fish, your fish care has to be perfect, with all of the needs of the fish met 100%.
Given your current adventures in fishkeeping, I think you'll accept that you are not quite there. ;)

You have a fish with a swollen belly.
You discover it might have eggs.
...And already, you're thinking of selling the babies. You've even got a price worked out!

Meanwhile, what's happening with the rest of the fish in your community tank?

As a thought, you manage to spawn your Black Neon's and you get a hundred young fish. Where are you going to put them, how are you going to feed them. Where are you going to sell them?

As a thought, you manage to spawn your Black Neon's and you get a hundred young fish. Where are you going to put them, how are you going to feed them. Where are you going to sell them?
I'm going to put them in a big storage box, feed them infusoria(bought online), and sell them at an lfs. They will be willing to take them.

I think that what @itiwhetu is trying to convey is that to successfully breed fish, any fish, your fish care has to be perfect, with all of the needs of the fish met 100%.
Given your current adventures in fishkeeping, I think you'll accept that you are not quite there. ;)

You have a fish with a swollen belly.
You discover it might have eggs.
...And already, you're thinking of selling the babies. You've even got a price worked out!

Meanwhile, what's happening with the rest of the fish in your community tank?
Ok I might be a bit too overexcited about it and I don't even know if it is going to be successful. The rest of the fish in my community tank are fine!

Don't waste your money buying infusoria online. It will probably be dead by the time you get it and you won't be able to buy enough for a batch of fish. There could be 200+ babies to feed.

If you want to buy baby fish food, get some powdered fry food for egg layers. Or use a boiled egg or grow your own infusoria. It takes about a month to get the culture going and you can condition the adults during this time.

The following link has information about culturing foods for baby fish and includes egg and infusoria.

Don't waste your money buying infusoria online. It will probably be dead by the time you get it and you won't be able to buy enough for a batch of fish. There could be 200+ babies to feed.

If you want to buy baby fish food, get some powdered fry food for egg layers. Or use a boiled egg or grow your own infusoria. It takes about a month to get the culture going and you can condition the adults during this time.

The following link has information about culturing foods for baby fish and includes egg and infusoria.
It always comes alive and I get a whole bottle. But I'll still look at that thread thanks!

A GREAT thread!! Thanks soo much @Colin_T .
This morning, my pregnant black neon was hiding behind the hydrilla and the males were chasing each other and displaying to her, also rubbing against her body. I have a feeling she might spawn soon but won't get my hopes up too much.

If the males were pressing against her sides when near plants, they were breeding. Just feed the adults well and see if any babies pop up in a few days.

If the males were pressing against her sides when near plants, they were breeding. Just feed the adults well and see if any babies pop up in a few days.
Wait really?! She is just as fat as before. They did it early in the morning too... I will just see what happens.

Morning is when they usually breed. In fact, most fish can be encouraged to breed by letting them get morning sun.

As for her weight, she might have only released a few eggs. They can carry hundreds of eggs and might shed them all in one day or over a period of time.

Morning is when they usually breed. In fact, most fish can be encouraged to breed by letting them get morning sun.

As for her weight, she might have only released a few eggs. They can carry hundreds of eggs and might shed them all in one day or over a period of time.
They do get morning sun. After all, their tank is outside.

This morning I checked, it was amazing to watch!! The two males(I have called them male no.1 and male no.2, they have differences.)would chase each other, they both wanted the female, but eventually the female hid in some frogbit roots with male no.1 and he pressed against her side a bit. Then the male no.2 found her but the no.1 chased him away and came back, did some more pressing. It's amazing to watch. I can't wait to see the fry come up! Btw, the cardinals have finished quarantine, should I put the female with male no.1 in the breeding tank so no.2 won't bother them?

Btw, the cardinals have finished quarantine, should I put the female with male no.1 in the breeding tank so no.2 won't bother them?
Are you talk about the black neons or the cardinals?

If one of the male black neons is unable to breed with the female (because he isn't allowed), then wait until the other pr have finished breeding and move the adults out. You don't want the adults in the tank after they have bred because they will eat the young.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back