Is my black neon tetra pregnant?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Animallover😍

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I currently have 3 black neon tetras, one of them is fatter than the others she/he has been like that for 2 weeks, and not changed, the other (I think)males have also been chasing her which I think is breeding behaviour. I think she can't lay her eggs because the pH is too high (7.4). Should I move her to a separate tank and lower the pH so she can lay her eggs(if it is eggs)?
Here is a picture, I will send a better one soon.
black neon tetra pregnant.JPEG

It looks like a female with eggs. The pH should not be an issue for them breeding. If the males are displaying and chasing her, then she can shed the eggs. The only reason she won't be able to lay eggs is if the GH is too high (say above 200ppm). then she might become egg bound but that happens after months of not being able to breed when kept in hard water.

It looks like a female with eggs. The pH should not be an issue for them breeding. If the males are displaying and chasing her, then she can shed the eggs. The only reason she won't be able to lay eggs is if the GH is too high (say above 200ppm). then she might become egg bound but that happens after months of not being able to breed when kept in hard water.
Ok yep I'll move to separate tank to condition them better and lower the GH and pH if necessary.

She is ripe with eggs. How many males have you got? Preferably have three males to every female.

She is ripe with eggs. How many males have you got? Preferably have three males to every female.
I have 2 males. I am super happy!! Yay babies!!! so excited also maybe I can sell these fish, I need to keep up with the money for fishkeeping. Have been doing little jobs around the house that my dad gives me. Get RM 5 for each one.
Btw, should I move my Betta to the 1/2 gallon and the new cardinal tetras to his 10g so I can move her and the males to the QT? Or should I move the betta to the 1/2 gallon and the female and the males to the 10g. I feel this is better, less stressful for the cardinals.
Here is a better pic of my female.
black neon tetra pregnant with java fern.JPEG

A lot of things must line up to get eggs and then fry. It is not just a matter of putting the fish in a tank together. To breed egg laying fish takes a lot of research, patience, and perseverance. You can spend years trying to breed a particular species before you are successful.

A lot of things must line up to get eggs and then fry. It is not just a matter of putting the fish in a tank together. To breed egg laying fish takes a lot of research, patience, and perseverance. You can spend years trying to breed a particular species before you are successful.
Ok, I will research. Shouldn't I separate these fish? Won't the adult fish eat them? I also want to sell the babies so I don't want them to get eaten.

Ok, I will research. Shouldn't I separate these fish? Won't the adult fish eat them? I also want to sell the babies so I don't want them to get eaten.
Black neons are tricky to spawn and then the fry are very demanding. You really need to start reading about breeding egg layers. Some are good starters like Cherry Barbs, Golden Barbs, Zebra Danio's. Others like most of the Tetras take a lot more knowledge.

Black neons are tricky to spawn and then the fry are very demanding. You really need to start reading about breeding egg layers. Some are good starters like Cherry Barbs, Golden Barbs, Zebra Danio's. Others like most of the Tetras take a lot more knowledge.
Ok but I should separate right? I read up on it. Most of what I have read says, 'a separate breeding tank is better to ensure the survival of the fry' and 'black neons do not have any parenting skills and should be removed after the eggs have been laid'.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back