Is My Betta Pacing?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

kathleen

Reaction score
I'll admit I don't know much about betta behavior, this is only the second one I have ever owned. I've had this particular male about 2 weeks now and he's been great up until about 3 days ago when I noticed he constantly swims back and forth across the back of his tank. It kind of reminds me of the poor polar bears you see a the zoo that pace back and forth all day :sad:
He is in a 2g tank, I change the water weekly and he was eating well. Now he only eats about half of the pellets I give him (4 at a time) and then I have to remove the uneaten ones. He seems more interested in swimming than food. He does stop occassionally if something catches his eye but then he goes right back at it. I'm afraid he's going to wear himself out. At first I thought maybe he's cold and trying to keep warm as his tank is unheated (low 70's) but the reading I've done suggests cold temps would slow him down.
Anyone have any ideas? Is this normal or a sign of anything bad? :unsure:
Thanks!

Maybe he's bored? Does he have any plants in his tank? If so, re-arrange them and see if he does any better. If not, he might like one or two. Also, maybe move him to a different location. Mine like to be shuffled around.

Thanks for the reply BrookLea. Yes he has one artificial sword in his tank. I replaced all the gravel and added the plant last week. I'd like to move him but as the tank is unheated I need to keep him in the warmest room in the house which is the kitchen. I guess I'll just keep an eye on him for now.
Thanks again.

You can hold a mirror behind he tank for a few minutes a day to keep him interested and maybe he will stop.

I would give him another plant and maybe a cave or a terracotta pot to hide in. He might feel more secure if he has some "hidey" spots. :)

Thanks guys! Oddly he hasn't 'paced' as much today and has eaten all his food :S
He flares at his reflection and when I walk up to him so he seems happy enough I guess. Maybe I'll add some more decorations at the next water change.
Hopefully it was nothing.
Thanks again.

I had one veiltail... Max, who used to do the same thing. Swim back and forth in his tank. He did not live too long with me. Nine months. Am not sure it was the "pacing" that was the resulted of his short life. He was my first betta, rescued from a back shelf where he was left to die.

Despite all the pacing, his colors came back and he grew to full lenght. The last 3 months of this life he stopped doing laps, and one day I cam home and he was dead. He ate that morning.

How sad ral. :(
At least you were able to give him a much better home to live out his final days.

Err... his final days with me were like nine months, and after a month in decent living conditions he was a terribly acitve fish.

Was surprised when he died though... since even assuming 6-7 months (which I doubt) at the petshop, and 9 with me... that only placed him at 15-16 months.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back