April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Caroline2000

Reaction score
Iā€™ve had my Betta about a month now and today I spotted this white/grey stuff on his tail. Is this a sign of disease? Or has he just got something stuck on there? His behaviour has not changed, he is still swimming around, eating and coming to the front of his tank to be sociable. He has a heater and a sponge filter and water conditions seem alright but I did recently have to replace a couple of plants that were dying

Attachments

• 650911F9-FDD1-4A03-A826-C8C3483FAD48.jpeg
    650911F9-FDD1-4A03-A826-C8C3483FAD48.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 89
  • 580CEDB8-16B2-4AF2-B560-D7D955F2482E.jpeg
    580CEDB8-16B2-4AF2-B560-D7D955F2482E.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 97
A fine looking fish.
It could be a number of things, from fungus, bacteria or, as you suggest, just something stuck there...perhaps some excess mucus.
Before I commit, what else can you tell us about the tank and the water in it?

Itā€™s 25L, it was cycled before I put the fish in, I tested the water the other day when I changed the plants and there was no ammonia or nitrates/nitrites, pH was neutral. The only thing I was worried about was if the water was too hard. Aside from the plants the Betta is the only thing in there

A fine looking fish.
It could be a number of things, from fungus, bacteria or, as you suggest, just something stuck there...perhaps some excess mucus.
Before I commit, what else can you tell us about the tank and the water in it?

Itā€™s 25L, it was cycled before I put the fish in, I tested the water the other day when I changed the plants and there was no ammonia or nitrates/nitrites, pH was neutral. The only thing I was worried about was if the water was too hard. Aside from the plants the Betta is the only thing in there
All sounds good enough.
Aquarium salt is always a very good and useful additive to the water, 1tbsp per 5 gallon, as a simple maintenance dose. Keeps up a fish's electrolytes, etc..
(Up that to 1 tbsp per 3 gallon, if treating an illness).

You dissolve the salt in a cup of warm tank water first, before adding it to the tank.

I'd just keep an eye on the fins for any sign of deterioration. Hopefully, it'll resolve itself.

All sounds good enough.
Aquarium salt is always a very good and useful additive to the water, 1tbsp per 5 gallon, as a simple maintenance dose. Keeps up a fish's electrolytes, etc..
(Up that to 1 tbsp per 3 gallon, if treating an illness).

You dissolve the salt in a cup of warm tank water first, before adding it to the tank.

I'd just keep an eye on the fins for any sign of deterioration. Hopefully, it'll resolve itself.
Thanks, Iā€™ll keep an eye on him, heā€™s my first fish so I just donā€™t really know what Iā€™m doing but I want him to be happy

Salt shouldn't be used routinely especially with soft water fish, but it's OK to use short term as a mild medication.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back