Is My Betta Gonna Die Soon?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

qwertylol52

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i got my betta for a few months now...but i noticed that recently, as in 2 months ago i realised that my betta is swollen/bloated...not the whole body but jus the underneth of the stomach. my betta does not have the pinecone look and is eating, flaring well...not flickering or rubbing against objects...and has even blowned bubble nests...is this dropsy or what?

ammonia:0
nitrite:0
nitrate:8ppm

Could be dropsy or constipation. Constipation is caused by lack of fibre or too much or too little food, or not enough variety. What do you feed him, how much and how often?
Constipation or constant bad intestinal condition can lead to dropsy. I've found that antibiotics are effective in curing it, if you've caught it before he's pineconed you have a good chance if you treat with antibiotics very soon (tetracycline, oxytetracycline or chloramphenicol are probably suitable). If you dont' have antibiotics but you do have a melaleuca producs (melafix/pimafix/Bettafix) use that in the meantime.

Also, in case it's just constipation try feeding him a fresh or frozen pea. Soak it in boiling water and then take it out, cool it under the tap and remove the shell. Some bettas will eat it, some won't. If that doesn't clear him out it can be done with epsom salts but I don't know the dosage.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back