Is my betta going back to a happy color, or is she stressed and changing away from her happy color.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

dru_girl

Reaction score
When I got Galadriel the Betta, she was white with a few black dots. She lives in a five gallon planted tank. Her water parameters have been perfect for the vast majority of the few months Iā€™ve had her. Iā€™m still working on her lighting though. Her tank mates are 3 snails, but Iā€™m going to give two away soon. Her black dots are very slowly turning into more coloration. This is easiest to see in her tail fin. After reading about color change, Iā€™m trying to figure out if I got her in a stressed or sick state and sheā€™s getting healthy, or if somethingā€™s wrong and sheā€™s turning black. Any ideas?

Attachments

• 44B7DB3A-172A-414B-A496-FD6093DC3421.jpeg
    44B7DB3A-172A-414B-A496-FD6093DC3421.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 327C460A-EADE-479A-80A3-FD35B10BA363.jpeg
    327C460A-EADE-479A-80A3-FD35B10BA363.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 05386E2E-1269-4B4C-98F5-AD8173A02BCA.jpeg
    05386E2E-1269-4B4C-98F5-AD8173A02BCA.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 58
Did you cycle the tank before adding the fish?

By "perfect", what do you mean concerning water params? What kind of test kit do you use?

I think she looks healthier for what itā€™s worth. Iā€™m no fish scientist, but I can keep bettas alive long past life expectancy šŸ˜‚

And I love her name!

Did you cycle the tank before adding the fish?

By "perfect", what do you mean concerning water params? What kind of test kit do you use?
I ran it for 10 days before adding her. Did a 50% change 5 days before adding her, added some beneficial bacteria beforehand as well so that my sponge filter would have some going before I put her in.
I use API 5-in-1 strips. For the first 6 weeks, my levels (from top no3 to bottom GH) were 0-0-6.5-40-0.
Then I added a little crushed coral to my substrate and some equilibrium to my water to help my snails. Now it always reads 0-0-7.25 (just between 7 and 7.5)-40-30. (I took a pic of the strip from today, though I know the colors change after a bit.)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 37
Get a liquid test kit; the strips can be inaccurate and unreliable, especially if they are aged: https://apifishcare.com/product/freshwater-master-test-kit

Get the kit, run tests for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte, and post the results here

What kind of water conditioner do you use?

You could possibly be in the midst of a "fish-in" cycle, have a look here for all cycling methods: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycle-your-tank-a-complete-guide-for-beginners.475055/
I got a liquid test kit. My high range ph was 7.8. My nitrites and nitrates were 0. My ammonia was somewhere between 0 and .25ppm. I added some water conditioner to help. Does that all sound okay?

I think its marbling! I'm not an expert, but I'm sure her color change is completely normal!!

It's normal for bettas to change color over time. Do you have better pictures? It's kind of hard to tell from what you posted.

She looks really young, and is a marble. If she was either or she is going to change colors (marbles do all their lives and young bettas will) She looks supper health. Love her name!!

Most reactions

trending

Back