Is my betta dying?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Helpess

Reaction score
So I brought my betta fish only a few days ago after cycling my water for a whole week (the lady suggested only cycling it for a couple of days) and in the beginning it wouldn't swim around too much. All of the betta fish at the store were the same- not swimming around much in their tiny little tanks.

I have a 9 litre tank with a filter and heater. I also have a live plant in my tank and a small cave as i read you should give them a place to hide.

On the first day I fed my fish a tiny amount and it spat most of it out and only ended up eating one pellet.
It's been the same the other days.

I've come home from work to find my fish laying at the bottom of the tank with its tail in the air- first thing I thought of was constipation and I tried feeding it a pea but it wouldn't move.
It's breathing has slowed heaps and it only loves it's finns a tiny amount every few minutes.
What's happening?? I thought it was just getting use to the tank so now swimming around heaps considering my tank is much bigger than its use to. But now I'm worried.
Could the filter have been too strong and tired it out? I'm using a filter that came with the tank and is specifically a betta tank so I'm extremely confused.

Someone please give me an idea :( I've checked the water and everything ughhh

Hi.
Lets see if we can help you.

So I brought my betta fish only a few days ago after cycling my water for a whole week (the lady suggested only cycling it for a couple of days)
Please go to the lady who told you that and call her an idiot because she has no idea what she is talking about when it comes to cycling.

I also have a live plant in my tank and a small cave as i read you should give them a place to hide.
Bettas are surface dwelling fish and do not need caves, what they need is plants including floating ones to hide in if they want.

Could the filter have been too strong and tired it out?
What sor of filter and tank is it? can you provide a photo please.

Now some questions.
How often do you change water? With a tank that small you should be changing 50% every other day.
What water conditioner do you use to remove chlorine and other stuff? Eg Seachem prime.
What is the water temp in the tank?
Can you please provide a close up photo of the fish?

What you need to do is do a water change now with treated water about 50%.

Hi.
Lets see if we can help you.

Please go to the lady who told you that and call her an idiot because she has no idea what she is talking about when it comes to cycling.

Bettas are surface dwelling fish and do not need caves, what they need is plants including floating ones to hide in if they want.

What sor of filter and tank is it? can you provide a photo please.

Now some questions.
How often do you change water? With a tank that small you should be changing 50% every other day.
What water conditioner do you use to remove chlorine and other stuff? Eg Seachem prime.
What is the water temp in the tank?
Can you please provide a close up photo of the fish?

What you need to do is do a water change now with treated water about 50%.

So sadly it died not long after posting this. It just stopped breathing suddenly.

The lady at the shop was more helpful than anyone I've ever met. Other people don't care if you buy a new tank and fish in one shot without setting anything up.

As far as a cave, I read many betta information pages online and it was mentioned several times that a cave would be a good idea as well as plants.

I can't provide any photos right now. But the filter came with the tank, water conditioner and bio starter. It was a tank set up specifically for betta fish which also came with information about the fish care

And my tank water was approximately 24 or 25° like listed on every site ive read.

I'm just frustrated as most people can go and grab a betta fish from the store and keep it for a long time in a small tank the size of a coffee mug. Yet I spend a fortune making sure the water is safe and the tank is big enough. And it doesn't survive

Sorry to hear that,

You must get another Betta and we will guide you so this don't happen again.

I suggest you read this first Cycling Your New Fresh Water Tank: Read This First!
Once your tank is cycled correctly then its time to get another fish,

The lady in the shop might have been friendly but she knows nothing about fish keeping, or cycling a tank. Her bad advice is the most likely reason your fish died

Hi, what country are you in? Can you give us the name of the tank/filter please? Sadly, Bettas can go through a lot in their short lives and sometimes the damage is done to their gills/organs before we get them home.

Do not be too hard on yourself...you did your best and this is all part of learning what is best moving forward. Take the advice provided above re:cycling your tank and you will learn a lot more for your next fish.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back