Is Mgso4 Harmful To Shrimps And Snails?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I am not much when it comes to chemistry, but I can relate my experience with pH and crushed coral, dolomite and aragonite (the three individually, not collectively).  Using just half a cup of dolomite in the canister filter on my 115g tank, the pH went from at or below 5 up to 6.5 and remained there for several years.  Later, using either crushed coral or aragonite, half a cup in the same tank filter, the pH went from 6.4 up to 7.6 literally overnight.  My GH/KH both times was near zero.  In the coral/aragonite case, the municipal water authority was adding soda ash to raise the low pH to around 7.0, whereas with the dolomite nothing was being added to the municipal water.  Same source.

With wild caught or soft water sensitive fish, this is a concern, so I am no longer using any of these.

Byron.

Have decided not to use crushed sheels or dolomite etc as this could potentially raise my pH to an untenable level so not going to risk this.

Will be adding calcium enriched foods for my snails and shrimps and hopefully that will help them out.

Seems the safest method I think.

Ch4rlie said:
Have decided not to use crushed sheels or dolomite etc as this could potentially raise my pH to an untenable level so not going to risk this.

Will be adding calcium enriched foods for my snails and shrimps and hopefully that will help them out.

Seems the safest method I think.

Very practical solution.  As long as they are eating the calcium enriched foods, I can't imagine that they'd be in any danger with their molting.

Yes, have to agree, but the snails do eat most of what i put down for them, algae wafers, aramanth leaves etc

Though it seems hard to find calcium enriched food here in UK, i know that in US there is Kensfish website which has the ideal sort of foods I would like to have as am also looking for garlic infused foods for all my fish as well.

I may send an email to them asking for shipping quotes etc.

But will continue to search online and hopefully find a decent place that sells these at reasonable costs.

Ch4rlie said:
Yes, have to agree, but the snails do eat most of what i put down for them, algae wafers, aramanth leaves etc

Though it seems hard to find calcium enriched food here in UK, i know that in US there is Kensfish website which has the ideal sort of foods I would like to have as am also looking for garlic infused foods for all my fish as well.

I may send an email to them asking for shipping quotes etc.

Or maybe ask him if he'd like to branch out into the UK and you could be the local distributor.
wink.png

As the idea man, I'll just ask for 1% of all profits.  That seems fair. 

blink.png

I have just found out the shipping costs from Kensfood to ship to my postcode in UK.

Quoted $52.70 for the shipping plus $14.75 for the food items i want, making it $67.45 in total. In UK pounds thats around £46.79.

Umm........no.

Ch4rlie said:
blink.png

I have just found out the shipping costs from Kensfood to ship to my postcode in UK.

Quoted $52.70 for the shipping plus $14.75 for the food items i want, making it $67.45 in total. In UK pounds thats around £46.79.

Umm........no.

Yeah, that's what I figured.  The business deal might be your best bet.  :nod:  

But, now that I am coaching you in addition to the idea... I'll increase my fee...  2% of the profits.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back