Is Melamine Aquarium Safe ?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

cocoa007

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Melamine the plastic stuff that is used to make dinnerware etc, is that aquarium safe ? I have a pretty salt shaker which I want to turn to a barrel for fish in aquarium but don't know if its safe.

Hi Cocoa007,

I've never used pure melamine in an aquarium, but melamine as a compound is mostly nitrogen based, so could degrade in your tank and release all kinds of nitrogen compounds.......ammonia, nitrates etc! Melamine as it stands is classed as toxic to humans, so your fish are definitely not going to like it. My advice, stop right now and don't do it! 
yes.gif

Though, restaurants use melamine dishes because they are do easy to wash...but some people have said they come out of the dishwasher warped and 'bubbling', so unless someone else knows that its safe I stand by my opinion....

Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine.....makes me wonder about eating at restaurants now!! "Melamine has been involved in several food recalls after the discovery of severe kidney damage to children and pets poisoned by melamine-adulterated food." !!!!

Cheers,
Tricky

Thanks Tricky. I will keep melamine away from my tank :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back